Bai Lin Gong Fu Organic

Brand:Music City Tea
Style:Black Tea
Region:Wuyi, Fujian, China

This tea's info last updated: Dec. 20, 2016

Special Grade. A really amazing tea and a favorite at our tastings...No bitterness and a soft flavor profile with a sweet undertone.

Brewing Instructions: (from Music City Tea)

...brew it at a lower temperature like a green tea, around 195-200 degree. Couple this with a longer brew time of 5-6 minutes...

Page 1 of 1 page with 1 review

So ever since a local shop stopped carrying my favorite teas I haven't really purchased much black tea lately.
I've been impressed with this company's teas so far, and went ahead and added this one to a recent order.

The aroma of the dry, thin, slightly curly leaves is very nice...caramel and maybe a little fresh cut wood come to mind.
I decided to brew this "gong fu" style, mainly out of curiosity but also to see if the flavor evolved much over a few infusions. It actually did. I prefer oolongs and greens these days...but an occasional cup of black tea can really hit the spot :)

Anyway, this tea brews up a nice fairly deep red color. The aroma while steeping again reminds me of caramel, and a new note of lightly sweetened chocolate.
As for the flavor the dark chocolate combined with a light almost brown sugar or molasses-like sweetness and very pleasant long lasting bitterness. The bitterness reminds me of heavily roasted nuts.
I'm really enjoying this tea.

Second and third infusions diminished the dark chocolate notes and brought out more of the nutty bitterness (bitterness in a very good way and not overly intense at all).
There was close to zero astringency present, yet this tea packs a pretty full body.

Having read that this particular black tea does well at lower temperatures I used about 195 degree water for each steeping.

A very nice and satisfying black tea :)