Rate and review teas. The most comprehensive tea resource on the web.

Home » Rishi Tea » Teas » Jade Cloud (aka Green Jade)

Jade Cloud (aka Green Jade)

Brand:Rishi Tea
Style:Green Tea
Region:Hubei, China

Commercial Description:

Jade Cloud (aka Green Jade), Organic Fair Trade Green Tea Jade Cloud is a special grade of Chinese green tea produced in the high elevation tea gardens of western Hubei, China. Each year, our Jade Cloud is carefully selected from the farmers' earliest batches of spring tea. Organic Jade Cloud has a mellow and refreshing character that is smooth with low astringency. Jade Cloud's aroma suggests sweetly toasted chestnut and bluegrass.

Brewing Instructions: (from Rishi Tea)

Water: 180F / Leaves: 1 tablespoon per 8 ounces / Infusion Time: 3-4 minutes

77 Aroma: 7/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 5/5 Overall: 7/10
Unlike many green teas, Jade Cloud did not taste bitter to me. It was smooth and refreshing,with sharp, citrus, and grassy qualities.I had a tea bag sample version, and made it according to the instructions. It tasted more sour/sharp as it cooled, and was good for a second steeping. I generally enjoyed this tea, but probably wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

67 Aroma: 6/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 3/5 Overall: 7/10
I just tried the bagged version of this tea and was pretty pleased. Overall I liked the tea and thought that it was refreshing, like a typical green. I would have it again if offered to me, but I probably wouldn't buy it on my own. I feel that I can buy the same quality bagged tea for less - I would like to try the loose version soon though!

83 Aroma: 8/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 5/5 Overall: 8/10
I had just a sample of this one, the version that comes in a teabag, not loose. So I only got to experiment with making it one way, rather than brewing it a couple different ways to see what changes.

That said, I steeped it exactly according to the instructions on the package, and it came out really nicely. The aroma was strong and herbaceous. and the drink itself had lots of sharp nutty and grassy flavors that I really liked. It was refreshing and cooling - I suspect it would be rather nice in the warm months, instead of in December when I tried it.

It stood up well to a second steeping: the flavor was weaker on the second go-round, but it didn't become unbalanced, overly bitter or astringent. A third steeping probably wouldn't have been a good idea, and I didn't try it.

87 Aroma: 9/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 5/5 Overall: 8/10
Excellent example of a Chinese Green from Hubei, that is both smooth and refreshing. I first tried this a number of years ago, then again recently based on Alex Zorach's review. He hits it on the nose when he describes it of being "simultaneously clean and rich tasting."

One of the things I like about Rishi's teas is that they are consistently of a high quality, and usually very affordable. Enough complexity to keep you interested, but dependable and consistent from year to year.

90 Aroma: 9/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 5/5 Overall: 8/10
The aroma is very complex, with some grassy tones and some sharpness. Simultaneously clean and rich tasting. In my opinion, this tea combines the clean, sharp qualities of a good Japanese Sencha, without the fishy quality, and with the more rich and warm characteristics of some of the better Chinese green teas.

The flavor is quite sharp and bitter, and there is a bit of sourness, but the bitterness is mitigated by a sweetness in the aroma and aftertaste.

This tea can stand up very well to being brewed at different strengths. I find even a smaller amount of the leaves are good for multiple infusions: I usually make 3 cups out of the same leaves. The later cups are less bitter but retain much of the richness and complexity.

This tea is priced very reasonably, especially for such an outstanding tea.