2005 Jing Mai Autumnal - Organic

Brand:The Tao of Tea
Style:Ripened (Shou) Pu-erh
Region:Lancang, Yunnan, China
Loose/teabag:Compressed

Sweet aroma, like clover honey. Clear, herbaceous flavor with a long sweet aftertaste.

Brewing Instructions: (from The Tao of Tea)

180°F (82°C--18°C) 2 tsp. / 8oz water, 3 min, 3-4 infusions

70 Aroma: 6/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 2/5 Overall: 8/10
Very interesting tea! A bit pricey, based on the website and their recommendation of using 2 teaspoons worth for a cup, but good quality. I detected an undertone of raisins with a hint of a spice I wouldn't be able to name. It tasted really very good at the beginning. Later in the morning it developed a bitter flavor, though I think that was because a leaf had been left in the tea. So I would recommend getting absolutely every leaf out of the tea after steeping, or drinking it relatively quickly.

I got two good cups out of it. The third cup wasn't bad but had a much more subdued flavor.

TIP: Tiny bits of this tea make it into the cup. To prevent these from making the tea go bitter, I recommend straining it with a particularly fine meshed strainer once or twice.

40 Aroma: 3/10 Flavor: 3/5 Value: 1/5 Overall: 5/10
This tea is interesting, but I'm not used to pu-erh. It has a vegetal aroma. It tastes really mild, and kind of savory. With the first infusion it left a kind of tingly feeling in my mouth. I added cream and sugar.

87 Aroma: 8/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 4/5 Overall: 9/10
(Lot # Bing-Autumn10612-01)

This is my favorite shu/shou (ripened) Pu-erh of all time.

I did not enjoy this tea at first but it has since grown on me after drinking about a third of the cake. I found this tea to improve considerably as it has continued to age. Interestingly, I find it tastes more like aged sheng (raw) Pu-erh than it does shou (ripened) Pu-erh. As it's aged, I think it could probably fool me, in its current state.

This cake was unusually difficult to break. The dry leaf has little aroma...the leaves seems to have a bit more stem than most pu-erh. There are even some larger twigs included.

I've tried brewing several different ways and the results are very similar; only the strength differs. Aroma is herbaceous, like the company's description...suggestive of celery with a hint of wood. Less earthy than I'd expect for a tea of this age. I'm not noticing the sweetness in the aroma or aftertaste. The cup is a very clear amber color, and the flavor is clean. Using cooler water I have found results in a mellower, warmer cup, whereas warmer water leads to a cup with more kick and stronger herbaceous tones.

Overall, very oolong-like...the first infusion of this tea is very similar to the second infusion of an oolong with woody characteristics, like an amber oolong or darker Tie Guan Yin.

I think the company has perhaps been overzealous on their claim that this tea is good for 3-4 infusions of 3 minutes. I found it gave out after 2. I had better luck using more leaf and briefer infusions.