ZW48: Fuding White Tea Cake

Brand:Upton Tea Imports
Style:White Tea
Region:Fuding, Fujian, China

This tea's info last updated: Jan. 9, 2017

Once used for Imperial Tribute, this style of tea has been produced since the Song Dynasty. The loosely packed Pai Mu Tan style leaves are easily removed from the cake for infusion. The light, golden infusion has a faint floral nose. The mellow cup has a citrus nuance and a sweet, lingering finish.

Brewing Instructions: (from Upton Tea Imports)

2¼ g/cup, 180°F, 3 min.

Page 1 of 1 page with 1 review

I tried this together with Upton's ZW42. I actually liked this one a lot, and not the other.

Brews up a dark, full-bodied cup that, like the other compressed white tea cake, is rather bitter. I find the bitterness more blunt though, whereas ZW42 has a sharp bitterness.

The aroma is strange and hard to describe. I notice strong notes of vanilla, and it's also quite floral.

I really liked this one. Not overly caffeinated either. I was able to brew it more strongly without getting jittery, and I liked how I felt after drinking it.

Like the other white tea cake, this one also resteeps very well. The second cup was rich and had a very complex aroma. By the third cup though, the aroma was mostly gone.

I would drink this again, and lucky for me and others, Upton still has it in stock. A little pricey though...is it really worth buying this tea, when there are many others in the price range that I actually prefer? I recommend trying this one for the novelty, the sample is a great deal.