BA20: South African Rooibos (Red Bush) Superior - Organic

Brand:Upton Tea Imports
Style:Rooibos
Caffeine:Caffeine Free
Region:South Africa

This organic Rooibos has an inviting aroma, with hints of vanilla and citrus. The smooth flavor has notes of spice and caramel. We recommend this tisane for drinking iced, as well as hot.

Brewing Instructions: (from Upton Tea Imports)

Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup
Water Temp: 212° (boiling)
Steep Time: 8 min.

70 Aroma: 7/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 4/5 Overall: 6/10
I am a huge fan of Rooibos, but I was not blown away by this selection. It does have an excellent color to it. The brewed cup is a deep and full red. I also thoroughly enjoyed the aroma. It was not too strong, but rather subtle and smooth. It smelled faintly of toasted nuts, which at first I thought kind of odd, but later grew to appreciate.

I found the taste someone bland and mild. It was good, but not as robust as I like in a Rooibos. My favorite is from Adagio and has wonderful undertones of vanilla. This one lacked that undertone that I love. It was stronger on the earthy and woody undertones, while remaining smooth, sweet, and mild.

Overall a very decent cup of Rooibos, but not the absolute best which for me is still Adagio's.

63 Aroma: 6/10 Flavor: 3/5 Value: 4/5 Overall: 6/10
I find it hard to describe the aroma of Roobos. This one is typical among Rooibos that I've tried...earthy, woody, a hint of olives and spice in the aroma. The flavor is smooth with some sourness. Rich and pleasant.

I found the brewing instructions to be right-on; you can even steep longer with good results. If you steep for less time or with cooler water, it's too bland.

I still am not quite sure how I feel about Rooibos overall, but this is one of the better ones I've sampled.