ZO79: Zhang Ping Shui Hsian Oolong

This tea has been retired/discontinued.

This Fujian province tea, while loosely rolled, is tightly packed into mini vacuum-sealed "bricks" to preserve freshness. Infusion reveals bold leaves which were finely plucked and skillfully crafted into an exquisite tea. The color of the liquor is between greenish/honey brown and yellow-gold. The aroma is fresh and strong, with notes of lilac and orchid. Vacuum-packed into 9g. mini bricks.

Brewing Instructions: (from Upton Tea Imports)

Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup
Water Temp: 190°
Steep Time: 3 min.

Page 1 of 1 page with 1 review

This one is actually currently available.
I ordered 2 15g samples about a month ago. The fact I still have some left is a clue as to what I think about it :)

I admit to buying this because it's a unique brick oolong. I also figured that given the high price it should be good.
I've since learned that price is not always a good indication of quality.

So the neat little paper wrapped bricks don't have much aroma when dry and broken up. When water is added though it smells really quite nice...floral and honey.

The brewed liquor is a deep amber color, so I expected this tea to have a decent body and flavor.
But no matter how I brewed this it tasted like hot water...almost no flavor present at all. At least none detected by me.
Maybe I should have tried brewing a full 15g brick in my smallest gaiwan. That would be a ridiculous amount of leaf for one tea session however and very cost prohibitive.

Another thing I did not like was the large amount of thick twigs and stems. I certainly expected much better from this tea.
Highly disappointing, flavorless and way overpriced.