ZW42: White Tea Cake

Brand:Upton Tea Imports
Style:White Tea
Region:China

In a loose form, the leaves of this selection would be roughly analogous to a quality Pai Mu Tan. When infused, the flavorful liquor offers notes of honeydew and hints of lemon.

Brewing Instructions: (from Upton Tea Imports)

2¼ g/cup, 180°F , 3 min.

Page 1 of 1 page with 1 review

60 Aroma: 7/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 2/5 Overall: 5/10
This was the first of two compressed white tea cakes from Upton that I sampled. It was interesting but I'm not sure I'd want to drink this tea regularly. This was a strong tea, unpleasantly sharp but also thin-bodied, and I think I may have brewed it too strongly, wanting a fuller-bodied tea, but by the time I had figured that out I had used up all of the small sample.

The compressed cake is mildly but pleasantly aromatic, with a mellow aroma that reminds me slightly of shou mei and white peony teas.

Upon brewing, becomes much more aromatic. The cup is clear and has a light body but a crisp, bitter flavor, a lot like some of the bolder/stronger white peony teas I've tried. The aroma is floral with hints of caramel and freshly dried leaves. Flavor is both bitter and sweet, and lightly sour. Low in astringency, leading to a smooth but somewhat thin-bodied cup.

Resteeps well, better than most loose-leaf white teas.

Seems very caffeinated, uncomfortably so. I did not like how I felt after drinking this...it made me jittery more than calm and focused. I sometimes have this problem with white teas but this one was worse than normal on this point.

I probably wouldn't order this one again, and it looks like I can't, because it's sold out?