Tea: Traditional Yerba Mate Tea Bags

Review of Traditional Yerba Mate Tea Bags

AromaFlavorValueTotal
7 of 104 of 54 of 570 of 100
Very GoodGoodGood Value

This is my first time trying yerba mate. To me, the scent reminds me a lot of tobacco, leather, and hay. There's a smoky quality to it that's in the background, which makes sense because this is smoke dried. The taste has something in it that is vaguely reminiscent of bay leaves or willow bark. Perhaps those who consume herbs and herbal teas more often will know what I'm referring to. It's not exactly astringent, and it is an 'herbal' taste, but more of a medicinal herbal taste. It's a bit hard to explain.

The feeling it imparted was one of deep relaxation. It made me a bit tired, actually. But, I felt very peaceful.

The only thing I didn't like was this strange sensation I got on my tongue. (I waited until the tea cooled before drinking it, so I know it wasn't the temperature.) I associated it with the smokiness. Smoke doesn't just impart flavor but also imparts unhealthy constituents onto the leaves, so that could be where it came from. Because of that, I wouldn't drink this version regularly. I can't even see myself finishing this one box very soon. But, I am curious about trying the San Mateo version which is air dried. That will help me to narrow down whether this sensation is from the yerba mate itself or from the smoke drying process. If all yerba mate imparted this sensation, I'd probably avoid it because it struck me as an unhealthy feeling. But, if the San Mateo didn't make me feel that way, I'd probably add it to my daily rotation of teas.

Add your own review

Login or Sign Up to comment on this review.