Tea: 1998 Shou Puerh

Review of 1998 Shou Puerh

AromaFlavorValueTotal
9 of 104 of 53 of 580 of 100
SuperbGoodReasonable

This is a good ripe pu-erh. I just think it may need to be brewed differently than I brew other ripe pu-erh, in order to bring out the right flavors. This is because there are two categories of notes that I detected. One was this wet, clean earth after rain set of notes. Then, there was another completely different set of notes that were all in the area of brown sugar, toasted grains, toasted marshmallows, and so on. The thing is, these sets of notes didn't pair well together. The dry tea smells like the brown sugar and toasted grain notes. The wet leaves smelled like wet, clean earth after rain. The brew was a strange combination of the two. I noticed the brown sugar and toasted grain notes early on — not just when brewing a cup, but in the first steeping. In the second steeping and after letting the first cup sit a while, the flavors shifted more towards wet, clean earth. I think that next time, I might use more leaves and brew for a shorter amount of time. But, that would be a definite change from how I usually brew ripe pu-erh. Strangely enough, when I tried this (or what I thought was this) in the shop in-person, I detected no brown sugar or grain notes whatsoever. The taste was much more like wet, clean earth. Whatever the reason, one should approach this knowing that it's a bit complex and may be difficult to immediately brew just right. But, there were no 'off' notes, no moldy or unpleasant flavors like some ripe pu-erh has. So, that's a credit to this tea. It was definitely matured well and kept well.

Add your own review

Login or Sign Up to comment on this review.