Bi Luo Chun Green Tea (Pi Lo Chun)

Brand:TeaVivre
Style:Bi Luo Chun
Region:Jiangsu, China

...Bi Luo Chun is renowned for its strong fruity aroma and mellow flavour...the tea plants mixed in with a variety of fragrant fruit trees to give the tea its aroma and taste. ...a bright green color and strong almost citrus aroma to it...

90 Aroma: 9/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 4/5 Overall: 9/10
This was my first experience of this variety of tea, and I was very pleased! The aroma is wonderful—very fruity and sweet. The taste was also very sweet and delicate. There is strong floral and fruity notes while still having a hint of vegetation. Nothing too strong, just very mellow and smooth. It is almost like a cross between a white tea and green tea. I'll definitely be having this again!

83 Aroma: 9/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 4/5 Overall: 8/10
The aroma of the dry leaves is sweet and fresh, blending artichoke and lychee with a delicate hint of floral at the end. This tea smells like nature in springtime, bringing in the notes of fruits, flowers, and vegetation. It makes my nose happy.

The taste is quite delicate (that seems to be the key word with this tea) with a sweet citrus taste reminiscent of lychees. There is also a very mild hint of nuts that fades to a green bean vegetal taste. Of course the trichomes tickle the inside of my mouth making me giggle when I sip the tea. This tea is very mild and refreshing, it reminds me of spring rain.

93 Aroma: 9/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 5/5 Overall: 9/10
This tea is amazing! By far the best of this variety that I have ever tried. From the moment you open the package and see the tender curls, you are greeted by a wonderful aroma that is herbaceous, nutty, lightly smoky with a hint of citrus. This aroma persists through brewing and matches the mellow flavor.

Light green color infusions are filled with complexity, moving from sweetly vegetal to tangy and tart in subsequent steeps. And always that wonderful nutty smoky citrus aroma persisting.

93 Aroma: 9/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 5/5 Overall: 9/10
An outstanding green tea and the best example of this type of tea, Bi Luo Chun, that I've sampled yet.

Dry leaf is very dusty, consisting of tender-looking curls of leaf tips, and is beautifully fragrant, suggestive of sweetness, with a strong nutty quality and a hint of smokiness.

Upon brewing, I found this tea to be full-bodied and sweet, with an eminently pleasing aroma that seemed very persistent. There's a faint hint of smokiness, but the dominant character of the cup is nutty and vegetal.

Made three infusions with ease, when brewed as recommended, starting with a 1 minute infusion. Each was mild but still full-bodied and pleasantly aromatic. Later infusions became more tangy and herbaceous, and slightly less sweet and nutty, but were more or less similar in character. If I steeped the first cup longer, I was only able to brew 2 cups, and I felt that some of the tea's complexity was lost. I recommend sticking with TeaVivre's brewing recommendations. I also recommend being careful about brewing temperature, I didn't botch this tea in any brewing, but I other Bi Luo Chun I've found can be very sensitive to the temperature being too high. Little leaf is necessary for a flavorful cup.

I'm certainly no connoisseur when it comes to this type of tea; I've only sampled two other examples. But this is definitely not only the best, but far ahead of the other two examples I had, one of which was from Teavana (and has since been discontinued) and one of which was an inexpensive brand (Starway importers) purchased from an Asian market. This one was considerably cheaper than Teavana's batch, but I thought it was better.