Masala Chai Black Tea - Organic - Fair Trade

Brand:Arbor Teas
Style:Chai / Spiced Tea
Region:Blend

This tea's info last updated: Mar. 10, 2015

...a medium-body with exceptionally spicy flavor and aroma...based on traditional South Indian blending methods...CTC leaf grade...green cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and black pepper...surprisingly little astringency. The clove and ginger really come through, with a wonderful cardamom finish.

Brewing Instructions: (from Arbor Teas)

We recommend steeping a triple-strength cup of our Masala Chai Black Tea and serving it with honey and steamed milk.

The smell of this tea was amazing! I loved the complex mixture of spices in the dried leaf, so much so that I let a nearby friend smell it as well - she agreed! I was a little bit disappointed that the tea wasn't flavored as strong as the dried leaf suggested, but overall I was happy with my cup and would drink it again.

My favorite masala tea so far. The aromas are very pleasant; cinnamon, ginger and cloves predominate. The brew is mild with just a little astringency. Addition of some honey and milk make for a very smooth cuppa to start the morning off.

This chai has a weak tea flavor, even after brewing it for a long time. The dominant flavor is of ginger, and it's a little too much for me. Overall, it's okay. I added cream and sugar.

Aroma of the dry leaf and spices is pleasantly pungent, typical for a high-quality Masala chai blend.

I prepared this blend with and without milk. I thought it was better with milk.

Upon brewing, this tea takes on a different character. Suggestive of gingerbread, like warm gingerbread cookies. There is a slight unpleasant mushroomy quality but this vanishes as I actually drink the cup, leaving a fully pleasing finish.

Surprisingly smooth flavor. Somewhat savory and slightly sour, but not very bitter. Little astringency. Different from what I'd expect.

With milk, this chai maintains a surprising amount of peppery quality. It has a "cookies and milk" sort of flavor, all in one cup, like dunking gingerbread cookies in tea with milk.

This is one of my favorite commercially-blended masala chai's or spiced teas that I've tried yet. I still think I prefer Rishi, but it is hard to say that Rishi's is universally better than this one--I found the gingerbread-like quality of this one really appealing, and I'd imagine others would enjoy it too.

External Reviews

Our editorial team has selected the following reviews from other websites: