Organic Masala Chai Black Tea - Organic

Brand:Wegmans
Style:Chai / Spiced Tea
Region:India

Brewing Instructions: (from Wegmans)

1 tsp per 8 oz water
Water temp: 200-212
Time 4-6 minutes

77 Aroma: 8/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 4/5 Overall: 7/10
I thought that this tea had a really nice aroma to its dried leaf, which had strong spicy tones. The brew wasn't as fragrant, but I still enjoyed its taste. This tea wasn't anything spectacular, but it wasn't all bad. I thought it could have had a stronger flavor, which the dried leaf suggested. The price seemed reasonable to me.

83 Aroma: 7/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 5/5 Overall: 8/10
I've had this tea both on it's own and with the addition of milk an honey, and have liked it both ways. It smells good but not amazing, and tastes better than it smells. I like the fact that the tea can be brewed strongly without tasting bitter. It's a really good price for the quality of the tea.

70 Aroma: 7/10 Flavor: 3/5 Value: 4/5 Overall: 7/10
A good masala chai blend, but not among the best I've tried.

This tea looks to contain a nice blend of dry spices. I see a lot of cardamom pods, which is a good sign.

I thought the base tea was a little on the weak side. In spite of being broken into small pieces, it didn't seem to impart much strength to the cup. I recommend using more leaf than normal, and a longer steeping times. With 1 teaspoon per cup, and a 4 minute steeping, it was too weak for my tastes. I'd imagine that if you added milk this would be even more true, but Sylvia seems to say otherwise, so maybe it's a question of personal taste.

Aroma is not very complex...a sort of gingerbready quality, suggestive of dried ginger. Although I see whole cloves in the blend, the clove is subtle. I can taste the cardamom but I would prefer more. Thankfully, there is not too much cinnamon -- I was a little worried about this because cinnamon is listed as the second ingredient, but it does not dominate.

I thought this blend was too muted for my tastes. It's relatively inexpensive though, which is a plus. I think of Wegmans as a top-quality brand of tea, so while this was below-average among their offerings, I still thought it considerably above-average for a loose-leaf masala chai blend.

87 Aroma: 8/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 4/5 Overall: 9/10
I love this tea! It has a perfect blend of spices, and the base tea is strong enough. By the look of it, it appears to be heavy on cardamom. I added cream and sugar.