Tea: Bai Mu Dan

Review of Bai Mu Dan

AromaFlavorValueTotal
3 of 102 of 52 of 530 of 100
PoorMediocreOverpriced

The first few attempts at making this tea didn't turn out good at all, kind of sour and unpleasant. It is the first white tea I try, so it might be because of that. I decided just now to actually have a look at the instructions on the box instead of making it like a green tea. I was surprised to see it recommend a 5-minute steep with boiling water, because my tea thermometer recommends 70-80°C for white tea. So I also checked brewing instructions of similar teas from different companies which recommended slightly lower temperatures (85-90°C) and similar to longer steeping times.
I compromised and steeped it at 90°C for 5 minutes this time.

I don't know, it still tastes sour though slightly less unpleasantly than before. Also nutty, which I remember from before, but definitely not flowery, which other reviewers have said about other Bai Mu Dan teas. (About that, when I added this tea I didn't know that Bai Mu Dan should be added as white peony tea.)

It's possible I don't know how to deal with white teas yet, but this might also be low quality. However it is, I don't particularly like it.

Add your own review

Comments:

Difflugia wrote:
on June 16th, 2017

My experience with white teas is that there are some good ones, but I like other teas better for the price. I had some really good silver needle white tea that I paid almost $10 an ounce for, but equally delicious green or oolong teas cost much less.

Since then, I've had several less expensive white teas and all of them have been pretty mediocre. Good ones exist, but they're not bargains.

Login or Sign Up to comment or reply.