Loose Dark Roast Organic Yerba Mate - Organic

Brand:Mate Factor
Style:Yerba Maté
Region:Brazil

This tea's info last updated: Nov. 5, 2010

Our unique blend of Yerba Mate and roasted grains brews a delightfully rich, invigorating cup of tea without sacrificing the benefits of our fresh, Green Mate. Try with milk and your favorite sweetener.

I'm not very familiar with yerba mate. It smells like a tree or something. But it tastes really good - it has a rich flavor, kind of chocolaty. I added cream and sugar.
1 Comment

Outstanding. Although this is described as "dark roast", it's greener than a lot of other roasted Yerba mate. The roast is not uniform, and the dry leaf has just as much green as dark brown pieces. I think this mix of roast imparts a complexity to the aroma: it is simultaneously deep and fresh.

The brewed cup is very dark in color. I found this one easier to brew than Mate Factor's green Yerba mate. The instructions say 1 tablespoon per cup, and 5 minutes. I found that the cup comes out remarkably similar regardless of how long you steep it; only the strength varies, and it varies a lot less than you might expect. Sometimes I enjoy using as little as one teaspoon per cup and steeping as briefly as 3 minutes, but using a tablespoon and steeping for 5-8 minutes, it's still very smooth and pleasing.

Very much like hot chocolate. Naturally sweet, creamy, smooth, earthy, and rich. I absolutely love the flavor of this one. While my favorite green Yerba mate, by flavor, was from Upton Tea Imports, this is without a doubt my favorite roasted Yerba Mate. And the price is so reasonable, especially given that it is organic.

I would highly recommend this one. It's quickly become my favorite drink for the late afternoon, as I find it gives a bit of a boost but is much more relaxing than tea.