Review of White Peony (Pai Mu Tan)

AromaFlavorValueTotal
9 of 105 of 55 of 590 of 100
SuperbExcellentOutstanding

Not what I expected, and actually, far exceeding any expectations I had! This is my favorite Pai Mu Tan sampled yet, and is far out ahead of any of the other contenders.

I had this as a sample in a tea sachet. The sachet contains the same tea that is sold as loose-leaf. I will note that the sachet was very large, giving the loosely-packed leaves ample room to expand. The picture Adagio shows suggests a greener character for this tea but I actually found it had a darker character than is typical for this style.

Unusually for Pai Mu Tan, there's a smokiness in this tea. Slightly vegetal, against a background of autumn leaves. Seems fairly strongly caffeinated as well. Some skunky qualities overall, but very pleasant. Clear, but with some bitterness.

Lasts through many infusions. I made longer, stronger infusions than I think I needed to (this tea was stronger than I expected) and I still got three very bold cups. I imagine this tea could have easily brewed 4-5 more normal-strength cups, if using brief infusions.

I also want to note that this is my favorite tea from Adagio that I have sampled yet. Outstanding value for a tea of this quality.

Add your own review

Comments:

Bob Downs wrote:
on November 8th, 2011

Thank you, too, for this review, Alex. I think I may begin my White Tea explorations with this varietal. <br /> <br /> Although, Adagio's Commercial Description confuses me a bit with its suggestion that someone (such as myself) who's beginning their exploration of white tea try their

Alex Zorach wrote:
on November 11th, 2011

Thank you! I'll be curious what you find with this. They may have renamed this tea since we pulled the commercial descriptions, which may explain the confusion!<br /> <br /> Another white tea from Adagio that I liked a lot was the Xue Ya, or Snow Buds...it was less typical for a white tea though, being a lot more like a green tea than other white teas -- it is one of those borderline ones that is hard to sample.<br /> <br /> I also noticed that your review got truncated...I think there is a bug somewhere in our comment system but I'm having trouble pinpointing it to fix it...so apologies if you encounter it again.

Bob Downs wrote:
on November 11th, 2011

I just noticed the truncation, too. No worries.

Login or Sign Up to comment or reply.