White Peony (Pai Mu Tan)

Brand:Adagio Teas
Style:White Peony Tea
Region:Fujian, China

This tea's info last updated: Mar. 10, 2015

...beautiful, plush flavors. The nose is warm, floral and rich like fruit blossoms. The liquor is golden and bright. Clean, succulent floral-fruit flavor, melon sweetness, a touch of gentle savoriness and rounded mouthfeel...

This tea exhibits a pure, delicate flavor -- essentially what every white tea is described as by the company that sells it. It has no bitterness and a smooth flavor. When in the mood for a straightforward, pure tea that isn't grassy, this is a nice choice.

To prepare this tea, I used the Chinese method I was shown at the store for another brand (Music City Tea): pouring hot water (185 degrees, this time) through a small funnel with fine mesh at the bottom. The tea infuses while it pours -- eliminating a steeping time, yet providing multiple cups of well-infused tea.

The aroma of the fluffy leaves is pretty mild, you really need to sniff hard to detect much of an aroma, but when you do there are notes of cucumbers, melons, and a hint of paper and sage.

The taste is, well, you know, it is ok. Nothing to jump up and down about, it starts off with mild notes of cucumber and celery, moves along to hay and wildflowers in the middle, and finishes with melon (honeydew in specific) and lettuce. It is super mild, I would like to think my palate is somewhat refined, but I had to really work to find much here. I did enjoy my cup of it, it was mild and relaxing, though it is certainly far from my favorite Bai Mu Dan.

I'm very naive when it comes to white teas and prefer stronger blends myself. Even I can clearly tell this is a quality tea, very smooth and light 'clean' taste with a tad touch of grassiness. Sugar would likely kill it as it's naturally sweet on its own. Uplifting and refreshing, just not something I'd drink normally as I enjoy more flavor. Going to retry soon by steeping longer and adding even more tea than just 2 tbs.

This tea has a nice dusty flavor. It's a little weak for my taste, but if I brew it for long enough it's good. I added cream and sugar.

Not what I expected, and actually, far exceeding any expectations I had! This is my favorite Pai Mu Tan sampled yet, and is far out ahead of any of the other contenders.

I had this as a sample in a tea sachet. The sachet contains the same tea that is sold as loose-leaf. I will note that the sachet was very large, giving the loosely-packed leaves ample room to expand. The picture Adagio shows suggests a greener character for this tea but I actually found it had a darker character than is typical for this style.

Unusually for Pai Mu Tan, there's a smokiness in this tea. Slightly vegetal, against a background of autumn leaves. Seems fairly strongly caffeinated as well. Some skunky qualities overall, but very pleasant. Clear, but with some bitterness.

Lasts through many infusions. I made longer, stronger infusions than I think I needed to (this tea was stronger than I expected) and I still got three very bold cups. I imagine this tea could have easily brewed 4-5 more normal-strength cups, if using brief infusions.

I also want to note that this is my favorite tea from Adagio that I have sampled yet. Outstanding value for a tea of this quality.
3 Comments