Review of Shan Lin Xi High Mountain Oolong Tea

AromaFlavorValueTotal
10 of 103 of 54 of 587 of 100
OutstandingFairGood Value

I loved this one, and it seems to grow on me each time I drink it. It is rich and bold any way I make it.

The leaf has a rich, warming aroma, not very roasted but more homey.

I love the way this tea tastes when brewed in a mug. It's very rich and actually quite bitter. There's a hint of cinnamon in the aroma, but I thought the aroma was mostly floral and herbaceous. There is great depth to the herbaceous qualities. I can sense the tones of fruit and pine which Eco-Cha mentions in the commercial description. Finish is a little sour, almost like an aged oolong, but there's a lingering honey-like quality after the sourness clears, and I love this.

A second infusion is less aromatic but just as rich in flavor, still very strong and pleasant to drink. Easily brews three or more infusions, but I find this works best if the earlier ones are kept short. If starting with 3-4 minutes like recommended, the flavor gives out faster than I'd like.

If brewing in a mug, I liked brewing less strongly than Eco-Cha recommended, using about half as much leaf as they recommend (still more than a teaspoon though). I preferred a 1-2 minute first infusion.

This was definitely among the most interesting oolongs I've tried recently; I like the description "enigmatic". It is not among my favorite of favorite oolongs though, for the slight sourness in the flavor.

I am impressed so far, and I look forward to trying more of Eco-Cha's teas.

Add your own review

Comments:

LiberTEAS wrote:
on February 7th, 2014

This is one of the nicest Milky Oolong teas I've tried.

Eco-Cha wrote:
on April 7th, 2014

Hey LiberTEAS! <br /> <br /> Thanks! So glad you enjoyed this tea!

Eco-Cha wrote:
on April 7th, 2014

Hi Alex, <br /> <br /> Thanks for taking the time to taste this tea, it's great to read your thoughts. Good to hear your brewing tips as well. <br /> <br /> This was one of our favourite teas from 2013. The farm this tea is from is managed by a husband and wife team who transformed their plot of virgin high mountain bamboo forest into a tea garden just ten years ago. They produce approximately 300 pounds of tea from a typical day's spring harvest, compared to 1000 pounds a day from larger productions in the area. It was grown at 1600m elevation. <br /> <br /> Thanks again for taking the time to taste and write about this tea! <br />

Login or Sign Up to comment or reply.