San Mateo Air Dried Loose Yerba Mate

Style:Yerba Maté
Region:Brazil
Product page:San Mateo Air Dried Loose Yerba Mate

This tea's info last updated: Feb. 8, 2018

Air-Dried / Unsmoked Secondary drying process. This yerba mate has a graceful light body with an herbaceous nose, and sweet delicate crisp finish.

Reviewer pic60 Aroma: 6/10 Flavor: 3/5 Value: 3/5

To me, this tastes like what would happen if I steeped leather and tobacco in boiling water. Needless to say, it's not the most desirable tea experience — particularly for someone like myself, who really doesn't like tobacco. This doesn't give me any strange, tingling sensation on my tongue like the smoked yerba mate does, which is good. But, I liked the flavor of the smoked yerba mate a lot more. It didn't taste as strongly like tobacco or leather — it was more subtle. But, I really couldn't stand the tongue tingling sensation. I'd love to see if there's some mix or a way to cut through this San Mateo version — maybe something to mix it with or a different way of preparing it. Because, as is, I can't see myself drinking this again. That said, I don't think the typical routes (using sweetener or milk) would work for this. The flavor is just too strong.

Reviewer pic90 Aroma: 8/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 5/5

Drinking this in my gourd this morning while doing housework. Yerba Mate is one of my great loves. There is nothing like a warm gourd amigo to help me get through my day. It makes my body feel light and airy, and hums around my feet and hands. Strange, I know, but this is the only way I can properly describe it.

Today I filled my gourd 1/6th of the way full. A tiny splash of cold charcoal-filtered spring water to awaken the leaves Added cooler water than what is usually prescribed on other websites, and ‘resteeped’ about six times. Tannins were lower than usual, and disappeared after the third gourd-full.
To me, this is the only way to drink mate :P Nothing else compares!

Reviewer pic93 Aroma: 9/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 5/5

This is one of the best Matés on the market. It is now the only Maté I will buy. The flavor is brighter and has more depth than the traditional Maté that Guayaki offers. This is good prepared in a gourd, a french press, a drip coffee brewer, a teapot, and an on the go brewing mug (yes I have tried all these ways). It is hard to mess up, just as long as you know not to use too much. It is very strong and will become a bit overpowering if too much leaf is brewed for too long. Once you get the hang of it though, it is delicious.

More Teas from from Guayaki