Gold Blend

Brand:Barry's Tea
Style:Black Tea
Region:Blend

This tea's info last updated: Mar. 29, 2017

Our famous signature blend. Sourced from the finest tea gardens of Rwanda, Kenya and the Assam Valley of India, our Gold Blend is famous for its rich golden colour and much loved taste...

The dry tea is strange-looking. I think it's CTC tea that has been broken up into smaller pieces. Each teabag contains 3g of tea, so expect a strong cup of tea if you're used to American teabags.

Dry, it smells like CTC Assam tea, malty, tannic and slightly smoky. Adding the water opens up the aroma, which is rich and malty, with a less pronounced leafiness than I was expecting.

The flavor is robust even while the tea is hot. The maltiness, astringency and bitterness are reasonably balanced, with a little more bitterness than I prefer. The flavor is much richer and mellower than I was expecting from mass-produced Indian tea, however.

As the tea cools, this tea displays much more depth and complexity than I was expecting, as well. The bitterness actually fades a bit and is more balanced out by the sweetness. I haven't tasted many African teas, so I wonder if that's where the extra richness is coming from. I definitely prefer this tea to PG Tips.

Sampled at the coffee hour at a Unitarian Church in Northwest Philly. I didn't expect much, because it was just a humble cardboard box filled with unsealed, paper tea bags, and each tea bag was filled with fine dust.

But this tea impressed me.

Steeped 3 minutes. Produced a robust, full-bodied cup that was low in bitterness and had only a moderate astringency. Strong malty aroma, not the most complex aroma, but it was still pleasant and strong.

I now see while this tea has gotten favorable reviews from others too. I agree with Joseph's comments that it is not that distinctive, but it is pleasant and true to the Irish Breakfast style.

Very good tea, in the Irish style, with a bit of milk. Personally, I prefer good bagged tea, as the loose leaf is too weak for my taste. Barry's has excellent flavor and a good kick. Lifts the spirits and satisfies the palate. I can recommend a cup without hesitation.

As tea in a tea bag goes, this is very good stuff. The flavor is distinctive and comforting. I think I could easily pick this one out in a blind tasting with other Irish/Brittish brands. A good tea to have on hand.

After having been underwhelmed by the Barry's Irish Breakfast, I tried the Barry's Gold hoping for more. By using 3 bags for a 12 oz. cup and steeping 5 to 7 minutes, this is a fairly good Irish Breakfast tea. The malty aromas (with the somewhat offsetting peachy notes), rich full body, strength without overwhelming astringency all combine to give a satisfying, not great, cuppa. If it were just a bit more distinctive, I would happily rate it higher.