Decaffeinated Green Tea with White Tea

This page is for the decaf version. See also Authentic Green Tea with White Tea.

This tea's info last updated: Mar. 27, 2018

Green tea leaves are quickly dried after the harvest to preserve their vibrant color and naturally occurring flavonoid antioxidants. This decaf green tea is complemented by an infusion of decaf white tea for a smoother cup. Plus, we've added antioxidant Vitamin C to support your everyday wellness.

Reviewer pic60 Aroma: 6/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 3/5

This is one of my favorite decaf teas.

Like all Celestial Seasonings teas, the stringless, tagless, square tea bags are connected in pairs and are not wrapped. The box has an inner package of waxed paper to keep the tea fresh until the package is opened, but I always move the tea bags to an airtight container after opening.

The dry tea bags contain chopped up tea the size of fannings and smell like dry grass. Adding the water produces a medium-dark, green-amber liquor. The aroma isn't as strong as most caffeinated green teas, but it's complex, reminding me of light oolongs. Since the tea is decaffeinated, I find that brewing the tea with cooler water like normal results in a weak cup, so I use boiling water like I would for black tea.

The tea is labelled as a green-white mix and I can taste a fair amount of what is probably shoumei white tea, giving the tea a distinctive flavor. The initial sensation is bittersweet, giving way to a mellow, but robust richness that again reminds me of greener oolong teas. The finish is long and reminiscent of apricots.

This tea compares favorably with other grocery store green teas, even caffeinated ones. When I have to drink decaf, this is one of my staples. It's typically about $3.50 for a box of 20 tea bags.

Reviewer pic53 Aroma: 5/10 Flavor: 3/5 Value: 3/5

I like the simplicity of this tea, but was ultimately underwhelmed. It lacks any distinct or robust flavors.

More Teas from Celestial Seasonings