American Classic Tea

This tea's info last updated: Mar. 15, 2017

...a noble blend containing tea from America's only tea garden. The fresh smooth flavor of American Classic has made it a Southern favorite for many years.

On my scale from 1 (Lipton) to 10 (totally transcendent), this tea is about an 8. Very good: full-bodied and not too sour, acidic or tannic - but not my favorite black tea. It would probably make a really excellent iced tea with lemon.

I was surprised at how different this tasted from the Charleston Breakfast blend. I like this one better, and ironically, I think it tastes more like a strong English breakfast tea, whereas the other blend tastes more like a plain, medium-bodied black tea.

The tea bag itself, which is a pyramid sachet filled with large pieces of loose-leaf tea, is strongly aromatic, always a good sign. It smells malty (particularly resembling rye) and complex, with tones of wintergreen.

Upon brewing, produces a really potent cup. Aroma is unique: strongly herbaceous and vegetal, and spicy, suggestive of some Yunnan teas. There are some malty notes, with a strong suggestion of rye malt. Flavor is bold and strong: there's not a lot of up-front bitterness, but a moderate, muted bitterness comes in the middle of each sip. Full-bodied, with a slightly tannic finish.

Quite complex, especially for something with mechanical production.

Resteeps beautifully. I liked making a first 3 minute steep, followed by a second, 8 minute steep. The second cup was very similar to the first, perhaps a bit less malty and with more of the spicy notes, but quite full-bodied and rich.

Really excellent. I was truly surprised with the quality of this tea, especially given that it uses mechanical production. It is on par with many of the single-origin teas I've tasted to come out of Assam and Sri Lanka (Ceylon tea).

Not bad, but not a favorite. It tastes like a decent quality southern-style black tea. No bitterness I can notice. I feel like, for me, it would benefit from a squirt of lemon juice, though I don't have any on hand to try it. I think regular southern tea drinkers would really like this one, but it's not quite dazzling to me.