Green Tea (Ato-bi process)

Brand:ITO EN
Region:Japan
Product page:Green Tea (Ato-bi process)

This tea's info last updated: May. 23, 2018

During the finishing process, tea leaves are sorted by size for optimal finishing. The leaves that bring out the tea color are gently dried, while those that bring out the aroma are dried at a higher temperature. The result is an enjoyable fresh aroma in every cup of tea.

RateTea Notes

This tea is available for purchase in some Asian markets in the U.S.

Reviewer pic79 Aroma: 8/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 5/5

This was quite a discovery. I purchased this at a Chinese market in Edison, NJ. I was surprised to see a Japanese tea for sale, but I grabbed it because I saw D. Gray had reviewed it and was eager to try it. I wasn't disappointed!

The dry leaf is a rich, yellow-green color, and pleasantly aromatic, smelling sweet and fresh, a bit like grain (especially corn) and with light straw notes.

The brewed cup tastes and smells like what I'd expect from the leaf: it is mellow, smooth, and the aroma is light and mostly of grain and straw. There are only slight vegetal notes, a lot less than typical for Japanese green teas. The flavor is sweet and savory, with a light bitterness. Astringency is low, but you can bring out more (and more body) with a longer steep. D. Gray describes this tea as "creamy" and I see this.

I find this tea is easy to brew and forgiving of different temperatures and steep times...much more so than is typical for Japanese teas, which I tend to find picky and difficult to brew. I find this tea tastes better if brewed more strongly; I like using nearly 2 teaspoons of leaf per cup, steeping for 1 minute, then increasing the steep. Brewed this way you can get 3 steeps easily. I also like using one teaspoon and making only two steeps: 2 minutes followed by 5-8.

If you use a longer second steep it brings out astringency, greater bitterness, and vegetal notes, which some people may not like, but I didn't mind.

This would make a great everyday tea. It's pretty cheap too; Amazon has it for sale for $12 a pack but it was well under $10 (I forget how much, maybe arouund $8?) in the market I bought it in. I think it was a great deal and I'll probably buy more next time I'm back at that market; I haven't seen this tea for sale many places.

Reviewer pic95 Aroma: 9/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 5/5

This is some truly delicious green tea. It took me a while to brew it just right. But, with 80C water, with 3/4 tsp of leaves, brewing for 2 minutes 30 seconds, in a 4 oz gaiwan, increasing the time by 30 seconds each brewing, it was delicious. The scent is creamy, sweet, and vegetal. It's not as sweet as gyokuro (shaded green tea), but this is fukamushi (green tea steamed for extra long), so it's sweeter than sencha and has a light fog when brewing it, reminiscent of matcha. This is because the longer steaming process causes the leaves to become more brittle, so you get some dust in with the tea. It's not a bad thing, actually. It makes the scent and flavor creamier and also contributes to nutrition (since ingesting the leaf powder is more nutritive than just drinking the brewed water). I can usually get about four 4 oz brewings out of one 3/4 tsp of tea, which is a great value. Occasionally, there's some astringency, particularly towards the last brewings. But, it's not as severe as with other teas I've tried. The leaves themselves are also longer pieces than I normally see when buying sencha. They have a beautiful dark green color and sweet scent. All-in-all, this is some great tea. It's not expensive and I found it available at a local Japanese supermarket, so it's not much of a risk to give it a try.

Update: I'm raising the rating from 90 to 95. I just find myself coming back to this tea so often and I'm so pleased with it that I think it deserves that raise in rating.

More Green Tea from Japan from ITO EN