British Blend - Premium Black Tea

This page is for the caffeinated version. See also British Blend - Premium Black Tea - Decaffeinated.

Brand:Tetley Tea
Style:Black Tea
Region:Blend

This tea's info last updated: Mar. 6, 2014

One of our best selling teas, British Blend combines premium Kenyan and Assam teas to deliver a richer, full-bodied blend with superior tea flavor, body and color. With 200 mg of antioxidants, an 8-ounce cup of British blend has more than three times the amount of antioxidants per serving as orange juice!

Cutting open a dry teabag, the tea is small pieces of CTC pellets. It smells nice, but generic; the aroma is oak leaves and malt without much complexity.

Adding the water brings out the Assam in the blend. The sour, malty aroma is quite rich. The first taste of the tea is a surprise in that teas that smell like the Tetley does are usually much more bitter. This tea is far more mellow than I was expecting. The astringency and maltiness more than balance out the bitterness. While the flavor isn't any more complex than the aroma, it's pleasant and easy to drink.

This tea is best while hot. Many teas have more subtle and complex flavors that only come out after the tea has cooled a little, but the Tetley really doesn't. The bitterness fades a little and the maltiness intensifies a bit. Most teas are beginning to open in flavor at this point, but the Tetley is still sort of one-dimensional.

I can understand why reviewers that like popular grocery store British-style teas consider this one to be weak. It's inoffensive, but misses both the bright bitterness and heavy maltiness of most Assam CTC teas. Trying to blend a CTC tea that isn't bitter seems to result in losing too many other flavors as well. It isn't as bitter as PG Tips, but lots of teas aren't as bitter as PG Tips.

If you are accustomed to PG Tips, Twinings, or Barry's, then, to you, this tea should not taste bad. If you are used to anything better than the aforementioned, then Tetley British Blend will probably still work in a pinch. You may want to let it steep longer than what you are used to with stronger teas. I let it steep for at least five minutes and have it with a splash of half-percent milk. Its main drawback is not that it is cheap tasting, but that it seems not to be a Rainforest Alliance or Fair Trade member.

I'm surprised that a number of people thought this tea tasted weak, though the strength of cup I got might be due to a mistake I made: I tore the drawstring teabag. The tea fell out, so I just brewed it loose and floating in the cup. This made it diffuse very quickly. The tiny bits were too small to effectively scoop out and I didn't have a strainer, so I just left them in. I sipped it while it steeped to see when/how much it went bitter. Though it definitely did go bitter, it wasn't as much as I was worried about. Also, the smell had a subdued raisin-like scent. I can really feel the caffeine, so it wouldn't be bad as a coffee substitute.

Not going to be a favorite for me, but it really wasn't bad compared to other straight black teas I've tried. I may have to try a few others in the British style. Also, I think creamer would have helped, but didn't want to mix it with the loose bits of tea. I put 3 for the value because I don't see a price on their website.

I find Tetley completely lacking when comparing it to the other British blends for daily tea drinking found in the supermarket. I prefer Yorkshire, PG Tips, Twining's Everyday blend to name a few diverse alternative. Nonetheless, these are blends, the tea that I go to when I want something warm to drink and when I'm not looking for impressive flavor.

I think that Tetley's taste's weird and somehow artificial, which may be because I was aware that they have human right's claims against them before I tried it (was forced to drink it on a cold rainy day at a B&B with no alternative).

I understand Tetley as an everyday, nothing special tea. However, I would recommend that everyone investigate for themselves the company's ethical, or not so ethical, operations before buying this tea. There are many better tasting, stronger, everyday alternatives available.

I've been drinking tetley British blend for several years and as of today I'm changing to a different tea. It tastes like water and is very weak tasting. It's obvious that the company has cut back on it's product because at one time it was enjoyable.
3 Comments

Basicly, This Tea is very poor and Overpriced, Hardly any Aroma or Taste, If you like extremely watery weak tea, This tea is for you. As for my taste, I love very strong tea, I don't really recommend this tea because it is overpriced and in my opinion this Tea is poor and is not worked on at all. Just tricking poor people and it is overpriced, Too Overpriced. Do not buy this Tea. Not worth the money at all!

When it comes to basic black tea, Tetley British Blend is the base of most of my blending. It's also the one tea that I drink every single night before bedtime (decaff without milk). Lovely aroma, moderately bitter. I spice it with a touch of honey sometimes. Great value as well.

I was disapointed in this after having such great things to say about their English Breakfast Tea. It does have a nice full body, but its still on the bitter side. On the other hand, it would probably make a good base for iced tea mixed with fruit.

Tetley is one of the best basic black teas out there. Unlike American brands of black teas, it never gets bitter and is enjoyable with or without milk. The caffeine is also strong enough to replace coffee, but unlike coffee it doesn't hype you up for a crash (well maybe if you drink enough cups).
While it may not be the most exciting of teas, Tetley's taste is consistently satisfying and it hits the spot!
1 Comment