Sencha (Sen-cha), Loose-leaf

Brand:Yamamotoyama

This tea's info last updated: Oct. 1, 2014

Reviewer pic75 Aroma: 6/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 5/5

This is one of my go-to green teas for daily drinking. It has a vegetal flavor with some greener, sweeter hints, but really isn't as sweet as fukamushi (green tea with a longer steaming period) or gyokuro (green tea that's shaded before harvesting). But, I like how unobtrusive it is. It's easy to drink this as a drink without getting distracted by the scent or flavor and ending up sitting there, deconstructing it as opposed to doing other things. It's inexpensive, has a pleasing taste, and typically isn't bitter or astringent if you brew it well. This one's a little more finicky than the YamaMotoYama genmaicha, but I find that a 2 minute 30 second brew of 3/4 tsp leaves in a 4 oz gaiwan at 80C is perfect for me. I don't usually brew this tea twice. Fukamushi or gyokuro are really better if you're looking for green tea that you can brew ~4 times. This one is better for single-use.

Reviewer pic67 Aroma: 7/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 3/5

I usually dislike green teas because they taste smoky, but there's no smokiness here. Weak, vegetable-like aroma, with a rich, nutty, vegetable flavor that's strong and yes, a bit bitter. I put a touch of sugar in and it was very good.

Reviewer pic73 Aroma: 7/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 5/5

Thanks to Brytta Sopword for the sample!

A low-grade sencha that is remarkably enjoyable for what it is.

Flavor is bold, a pleasant bitterness (easily becoming too much if oversteeped), and slight sweet, sour, and savory qualities. Aroma toasty, with a strong warming quality, but also with vegetal notes and faint accents of mint. Surprisingly complex aroma for such an inexpensive tea!

Normally I think of sencha as something I like more in the summer, but this is a perfect winter tea: hearty and rich.

Finish is quite astringent, but I found this refreshing. I just recommend being careful with brewing. I liked using 170-180F water, less than one teaspoon of leaf, and brewing for 3 minutes. If using a full teaspoon I'd go shorter. This tea is very strong and easy to make too bitter or astringent to the point of being harsh.

When brewed the way I like, I found the bitterness invigorating.

I also found this tea tasted great when it had cooled. I even think it tastes sweeter, and the bitterness diminishes somewhat.

This tea really delivers; it's hard to get any Japanese teas in this price range, and this one was significantly better than a number of pricier teas I've tried.

Reviewer pic57 Aroma: 5/10 Flavor: 2/5 Value: 5/5

I found this at $5.75 for a 7 ounce bag, making it some of the cheapest loose leaf tea I've ever found. Excellent value!

That said, unfortunately, the tea goes bitter far too easily. The leaves are cut very small, allowing it to diffuse quickly. At the bottom of my cup are dark green fannings that couldn't be strained out, which I think is what is causing the tea to increase in bitterness over time. For these reasons, I've found it best to keep the steep time to about 30 seconds and to try to drink it rather quickly.

There are much better senchas out there. But if you're on a budget and don't mind a bit of bitterness, this brand is a steal.
1 Comment

Reviewer pic77 Aroma: 5/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 5/5

My coarse palette can fortunately enjoy only strong green tea, and these tend to be the cheap ones. It's a good thing I can get a 7 oz bag of this stuff online for $3.50, since I drink a big thermos of it everyday.

I boil water in a teapot, then turn off the heat and toss the leaves right in, and let them steep for 3-5 minutes. Strong but not bitter. Gets me through the day.

More Sencha from from Yamamotoyama

No image of this tea

Organic Decaf Sencha Green Tea Bag

Caffeine:CO2 Decaf
1 Rating

Kokyu Sencha (20 ct.)

Leaf:Teabag

Organic Green Tea (Sencha)

Region:?????
Leaf:Teabag

Green Tea (Sencha) (20 ct.)

Region:?????