English Tea No. 1

Brand:Ahmad Tea
Style:Earl Grey Tea
Region:Blend

This tea's info last updated: Jul. 29, 2017

A long-standing favourite, No.1 is a blend of premium quality teas with a subtle flavour of bergamot. Balanced in aroma, colour and strength. A delightful cup for all times of the day.

This bagged tea didn't earn quite as high of a rating as Ahmad's loose-leaf version of English Afternoon, but it was very good. Oodles of bags of this turned up in my pantry in an unmarked tin (my wife likes it, apparently), so I figured to give it a try.

I could taste the bergamot a bit -- not as much as with the EA tea of course, but pleasantly detectable. In a big, white cup that I use for these reviews, the color turned very dark and opaque within a minute or two out of about 7-8 minutes of immersion. The flavor was robust and satisfying, if a bit plain. It's not the strongest, richest black tea I've had (that would be a pure Assam from Murchie's), but sits firmly in the upper quartile. A generously dense, straightforward black tea that goes well with sweetener and lime juice (I drank some for reviewing before adding the juice)...

This tea came in an assortment pack purchased at a local Marshall's. It has a smaller amount of bergamot than the earl grey and I found it a quite appealing and relaxing cup of tea. It is not overly strong, but strong enough to wake you up in the morning. Definitely a step up from common teas at the supermarket.

This tea, along with Ahmad's Ceylon and green were both very good for the price.

I had the opportunity to try this a long time ago, but the tea bag wasn't terribly fresh, so I waited to review it again. This time I got a fresh, individually sealed tea bag from my friend Anna--thank you!

This tea does have a hint of bergamot but it's just a hint, so little I almost couldn't notice it, so it tasted more like a straight black tea. Robust, full-bodied, with a little bitterness, moderate astringency, and a hint of a savory quality.

Among tea bags, I liked this better than Ahmad's English Breakfast, but not quite as much as their English Afternoon. This tea was a tad less malty than the afternoon one; I thought it was a little smoother, more aromatic, and more complex than their English Breakfast, although it was still a pretty straightforward tea.

Good (and a lot better than mainstream tea bag brands), but pales in comparison to Ahmad's loose-leaf. If I wanted a tea in this style, I'd go with their loose-leaf Ceylon, which ironically, was the next cup of tea I drank after drinking this one, so I was able to compare.

Great flavor, especially with a cinnamon stick and some cloves in the kettle.