Kenyan Black Tea - Loose Tea

Brand:Ajiri Tea
Style:Black Tea
Region:Kisii, Kenya

This tea's info last updated: Mar. 14, 2017

Kenya is famous for its tea, and Ajiri Tea is remarkably fresh, bold, and flavorful.

This tea was remarkably high-quality for the fact that it is finely broken, mechanically-processed CTC tea. It was also incredibly interesting!

Aroma is grainy, slightly malty, and very pleasing. Has somewhat of a high-grown character, combined with malty characteristics. Rather distinct. I can see how others say it would have a cocoa or chocolatey quality too.

Flavor is surprisingly sweet, smooth. What strikes me about this tea is that it is full-bodied but has a certain pleasing lightness to it, usually absent in CTC teas.

I'm impressed! And the unique labels are a nice touch. I really support what this company is doing, and I'd encourage everyone to check out their website to learn more about their programs as well.

This is a tasty but basic black tea, with a great cause. The leaves are tiny, dark, and pellet-like. Not what I was expecting, but I didn't want to judge on just the leaf appearance alone. The leaves have a lovely sweet cocoa scent.

after steeping, the liquor tastes of whole wheat toast, and dark chocolate. It is a strong brew that is very basic, perfect for the morning and would hold up well to milk and sugar. It's an easy tea to over-steep, so be very careful A teaspoon for each cup is more than enough, and watch that you don't steep for more than 3 minutes. Not the best black tea I've ever had, but good, and the proceeds go to a good cause.

This is a really, really nice tea. At first I was leery - I've had some awful stuff from Kenya, but I've also had some good. This is a good straightforward black, not many nuances, but it is fine tasting. And all the profits go to provide schools for orphans in their section of Kenya. It is CTC or fannings grade, so don't brew it more than 2-3 minutes