Organic Lemon Echinacea Throat Coat® - Organic

Brand:Traditional Medicinals
Product page:Organic Lemon Echinacea Throat Coat®

This tea's info last updated: Jan. 27, 2014

Organic Lemon Echinacea Throat Coat® is a complex and aromatic blend of herbal tastes–sweet, lemony, and viscous with a characteristic tingle on your tongue from the alkylamides in echinacea, which is one of the important indicators of herb quality.

Reviewer pic67 Aroma: 7/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 3/5

I found an old container of this tea at a house I visited. Considering that it was probably quite old, it was surprisingly good.

The lemon flavor is present, smooth, and somewhat muted. There is a grassy undertone that I assume is the echinacea. And there is just a hint of licorice, which adds sweetness without being obnoxious. All in all, a surprisingly well executed blend. Though I would note that it's best to drink relatively hot; the flavors loses oomph as it cools.

I actually currently have a sore throat. The warmth, flavor, and aroma are indeed soothing. I am opposed to unfounded claims of medical assistance and, therefore, don't buy "wellness" teas. It might be that this stuff works or it may be that warmth and pleasantry coupled with the power of suggestion are exerting their influence. It's beyond annoying that we cannot know the truth because herbal teas refuse to support proper FDA testing (ie. repeated double-blind, placebo-controlled studies) of their products. Ugh, pet peeve. I took off a point of the overall score because I think they should avoid health claims or get them properly tested.

Anyway, the tea is nice--certainly worth a shot.

Reviewer pic47 Aroma: 3/10 Flavor: 3/5 Value: 3/5

Licorice is the dominant flavor in this tea, but it's not particularly strong. I like the flavors of both lemon and echinacea, but I can't taste the lemon at all and I can hardly detect any echinacea. If you thought the regular Throat Coat was too strong a tea, perhaps you'll enjoy this one; if you prefer your tea strong, as I do, you'll probably find yourself disappointed.

More Wellness Tea / Medicinal Tea Blends from Traditional Medicinals