Earl Grey

This page is for the caffeinated version. See also Earl Grey Decaffeinated Black Tea.

Brand:Bigelow Tea
Style:Earl Grey Tea
Region:Blend

This tea's info last updated: May. 30, 2014

A really fine cup of tea is one of life's true pleasures. We heartily recommend Earl Grey for the enjoyment it will bring to your tea drinking. This delicately scented, aristocratic blend is an international favorite.

Page 1 2 of 2 pages with 17 reviews

One of my favorite teas. Love the aroma, and the flavor is great!

As Earl Greys go, this is about average. Decent, but somewhat flat. Bigelow seems to pride themselves on black-tea quality, and their other flavored teas seem to back up such sentiment.

This, however, is a tea that smells far stronger and better in its packaging than it brews out. The bergamot seems muted, understated, as if it spends too long in shipping or storage before being incorporated into the tea.

This tastes like a somewhat old tea that has been shelved in plain-paper wrapping too long--except that this is packaged in the same air-sealed wrapping as the rest of their bagged teas. I'll drink it in the absence of better alternatives, but fortunately, better EGs (e.g., Stash Double Bergamot, Celestial, or Ahmad) are fairly easily available online.

This might be my favorite among the Bigelow teas I've tried for its combination of caffeine and taste. But having tried Ahmad Tea's Earl Grey loose leaf first, I have trouble calling this one a particularly good version of the blend. It delivers a kick with a smooth, interesting taste, but it's not going to be my go-to brand of choice for this type of tea.

This an excellent steep! I feel you get a 5 star Earl Grey product for the price of a 3 star product and thats why I give this tea a perfect rating. Cheap, amazing in both flavor and aroma, and a overall great tea.

Considering that I'm not often crazy about Earl Grey, I was pleasantly surprised by this tea. I managed to not overbrew it, and so I found it fairly smooth. I can distinctly taste the bergamot, which I like. It's true that it isn't a particularly complex tea, but with a bit of creamer it's a perfectly respectable way to get a decent caffeine jolt, I think.

Only bergamot smell and taste, but that isn't really a bad thing, just not a diverse tea...decent x2

I appreciate Bigelow's attempt at making a nice, strong Earl Grey. Unfortunately, something about the flavor does not agree with my palate. I find it to be very easily overbrewed, and often finicky. Nearly every cup I have tried has an unpleasant, bitter aftertaste.

I'll probably continue to try this one, in hopes of making it better, but up to this point I have had a distinct aversion to the taste.

This is my go-to, reasonably priced, bagged Earl Grey and has been since my undergraduate years at college. Our little coffee shop on campus supplied Bigelow brand and that was where I was introduced to this tea.

I absolutely love the smell of the Bergamot from this tea and have yet to find any other bagged version that is comparable. The only other bagged example that came close was Celestial Seasonings Victorian Earl Grey, which is now discontinued. Strong and slightly bitter, I enjoy the taste as well.

This continues to be one of my favorite bagged teas and I look forward to grabbing some at that same campus coffee shop at my reunion this weekend.

I suppose in general this is my "go-to" Tea brand. It is extremely reliable in terms of flavor and price. I find that Twinning bagged tea lacks the strength of flavor I began to crave after drinking Bigelow on a regular basis. Of course, I take my Bigelow Earl Grey with two tea bags, and a capful of lemon juice/one wedge.

I also developed a strange habit of eating the tea grinds after having finished the tea...so although this part of the review is probably meaningless to most, slightly lemon-soaked Earl Grey grinds/leaves is a taste I ususally cannot bear to go more than eighteen hours without. Because of this, I carry Lemon juice with me on the off chance I'm forced to buy tea from Starbucks - an institution that offers up Lemonade in lieu of Lemon juice.

Ah well. I enjoy bitter bitter tea, and if served up double bagged but in a regular mug, Bigelow Earl Grey does it 75 percent of the time.
1 Comment

If I have to drink bagged tea, I'll opt for this one. The scent and flavor are not too far off from Twinings' loose Earl Grey, which is my standard supermarket tea. The scent and flavor are strong but not overpowering; it's a little heavy on the bergamot, but that's the way I like it!
1 Comment