Earl Grey

This page is for the caffeinated version. See also Earl Grey Decaffeinated Black Tea.

Brand:Bigelow Tea
Product page:Earl Grey

This tea's info last updated: May. 30, 2014

A really fine cup of tea is one of life's true pleasures. We heartily recommend Earl Grey for the enjoyment it will bring to your tea drinking. This delicately scented, aristocratic blend is an international favorite.

Page 1 2 of 2 pages with 19 reviews

Reviewer pic75 Aroma: 6/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 5/5

This Earl Grey Tea is one of my favorites. I *never* steep this tea for more than 2-2.5 minutes. I like the fact that it takes less time to steep than other brands and I still get the caffeine and taste that I expect from Earl Grey.

However it isnt overly caffeinated, but this is another reason I like it. Sometimes I want 2-3 of cups of tea during the day. With other brands, such as Numi Earl Grey, if i drank that much tea I wouldnt be able to sleep.

The value of this tea is all there. You get the flavor you expect. You get a fair amount of caffeine. The balance is right.

Reviewer pic35 Aroma: 3/10 Flavor: 2/5 Value: 3/5

This tea isn't really the best, honestly. While compared to stronger earl greys such as twinnings, it just...doesn't cut it. If you're used to drinking stronger teas, you may want to actually brew longer or even add another bag. The citrus taste also felt weird and unnatural, not really blending well with the other flavors in the Tea.

If you're looking to get some Earl Grey and save money, I highly suggest you just get Twinnings. This isn't worth the difference in price.

Reviewer pic80 Aroma: 8/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 3/5

One of my favorite teas. Love the aroma, and the flavor is great!

Reviewer pic57 Aroma: 6/10 Flavor: 2/5 Value: 3/5

As Earl Greys go, this is about average. Decent, but somewhat flat. Bigelow seems to pride themselves on black-tea quality, and their other flavored teas seem to back up such sentiment.

This, however, is a tea that smells far stronger and better in its packaging than it brews out. The bergamot seems muted, understated, as if it spends too long in shipping or storage before being incorporated into the tea.

This tastes like a somewhat old tea that has been shelved in plain-paper wrapping too long--except that this is packaged in the same air-sealed wrapping as the rest of their bagged teas. I'll drink it in the absence of better alternatives, but fortunately, better EGs (e.g., Stash Double Bergamot, Celestial, or Ahmad) are fairly easily available online.

Reviewer pic67 Aroma: 5/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 4/5

This might be my favorite among the Bigelow teas I've tried for its combination of caffeine and taste. But having tried Ahmad Tea's Earl Grey loose leaf first, I have trouble calling this one a particularly good version of the blend. It delivers a kick with a smooth, interesting taste, but it's not going to be my go-to brand of choice for this type of tea.

Reviewer pic100 Aroma: 10/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 5/5

This an excellent steep! I feel you get a 5 star Earl Grey product for the price of a 3 star product and thats why I give this tea a perfect rating. Cheap, amazing in both flavor and aroma, and a overall great tea.

Reviewer pic67 Aroma: 7/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 3/5

Considering that I'm not often crazy about Earl Grey, I was pleasantly surprised by this tea. I managed to not overbrew it, and so I found it fairly smooth. I can distinctly taste the bergamot, which I like. It's true that it isn't a particularly complex tea, but with a bit of creamer it's a perfectly respectable way to get a decent caffeine jolt, I think.

Reviewer pic53 Aroma: 5/10 Flavor: 3/5 Value: 3/5

Only bergamot smell and taste, but that isn't really a bad thing, just not a diverse tea...decent x2

Reviewer pic40 Aroma: 5/10 Flavor: 2/5 Value: 2/5

I appreciate Bigelow's attempt at making a nice, strong Earl Grey. Unfortunately, something about the flavor does not agree with my palate. I find it to be very easily overbrewed, and often finicky. Nearly every cup I have tried has an unpleasant, bitter aftertaste.

I'll probably continue to try this one, in hopes of making it better, but up to this point I have had a distinct aversion to the taste.

Reviewer pic83 Aroma: 9/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 4/5

This is my go-to, reasonably priced, bagged Earl Grey and has been since my undergraduate years at college. Our little coffee shop on campus supplied Bigelow brand and that was where I was introduced to this tea.

I absolutely love the smell of the Bergamot from this tea and have yet to find any other bagged version that is comparable. The only other bagged example that came close was Celestial Seasonings Victorian Earl Grey, which is now discontinued. Strong and slightly bitter, I enjoy the taste as well.

This continues to be one of my favorite bagged teas and I look forward to grabbing some at that same campus coffee shop at my reunion this weekend.

Page 1 2 of 2 pages with 19 reviews