BH02: Holy Basil Purple Leaf - Organic

Style:Tulsi / Holy Basil Tea
Caffeine:Caffeine Free
Region:India

This tea's info last updated: Dec. 27, 2009

This fine-cut leaf grade of Holy Basil, (aka Tulsi), produces a rich cup with a complex and spicy character. The dominant flavor notes are anise and pepper, with nuances of citrus and cinnamon.

Brewing Instructions: (from Upton Tea Imports)

Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup
Water Temp: 212° (boiling)
Steep Time: 8 min.

This tea is very different from what I usually drink, but I enjoyed it immensely. It has a very unusual flavor which is strong but not overpowering and definitely delicious. The smell of the tea alone is very calming. In a way, it reminds me of the smell of books, and honestly it might be worth buying the tea just for the aroma.
2 Comments

For me, the flavor of this tea was the least interesting thing about it. It's complex, herbal, a bit cinnamon-spicy, less basil-like than I would have expected. Some bitterness, and it was annoyingly hard to stop little fragments of leaf from leaking into the brew, which is a pet peeve of mine. It disrupts the texture while drinking, and I hate picking things out of my teeth.

Far, far more remarkable was the smell. It was powerful, pungent, almost nose-clearingly fragrant. The words that came to mind were 'heady', 'intoxicating' and 'luscious'. Lots of anise and subtler notes of Chinese five-spice. But wow. I just wanted to keep smelling it.

Also remarkable was its physical effect. As other reviewers have noted, it is a noticeably calming, warming tea. It just straddles the border between 'calming herb' and 'slightly psychoactive substance' - after a large cup, I felt like I had been meditating.

For me, this tea has been an acquired taste. Now, however, it is a favorite. Something about it is very calming - now it is my go-to bedtime tea.

The tea is sweet and spicy, and just the tiniest bit heavy.

This is a very calming tea. Much more effective than chamomile. Over the years, this has become my favorite tea. Ever.

I had not tried tulsi (except possibly unknowingly as a seasoning) when I sampled this, and I fell in love after the first sip. The aroma is hard to describe, but very complex...I especially notice the anise and cinnamon, but I am usually not the biggest fan of these aromas, and I loved this tea. This is a very rich, full-bodied tea, and both the aroma and flavor have a warming character.

Perhaps the best thing about this tea is that I find it is very soothing and relaxing, much more so than other herbal teas. The way this tea makes me feel is very pleasant, and is unlike the sensation I get from any other herb tea I've tried.

I have since sampled a number of other sources and varieties of tulsi but I like this one the best so far. Absolutely exquisite!
2 Comments