Rooibos

Style:Rooibos
Caffeine:Caffeine Free
Region:South Africa

This tea's info last updated: Oct. 12, 2009

Rooibos, colloquially known as Red Tea, is an herbal plant that grows in South Africa. Rooibos is a flavorful, caffeine-free alternative to tea for those seeking to eliminate caffeine intake. Ours is a top-grade, organic African tea.

Plain rooibos is definitely my favorite herbal tea. Adagio's rooibos has an earthy and sweet aroma that leads to that naturally sweet taste that is characteristic of rooibos. The taste is filled with strong undertones of vanilla and honey. It is smooth, but not as smooth as some other rooibos tea and even has a hint of bitterness. Overall a decent choice though.

The aroma of the little red leaves is sweet and woody, exactly the way I expect Rooibos to smell! I do not drink it unblended nearly enough, which is tragic because I love the stuff. There are also notes of caramel, a touch of honey, the tiniest hint of pepper and much to my surprise and ending hint of pie crust, which is fun!

The taste is very typical Rooibos, it starts caramel woody sweet and has a dry finish, though I have found that brewing the tea at just under boiling will make it less dry and more sweet, so if you are someone who dislikes that dryness there is a little tip. I love the woody aspects of rooibos, the closest wood I could compare them too is dry reeds, and yes I know what that tastes like, I am a weirdo. Unlike most Rooibos, this one has a tiny hint of smokiness at the finish, making me wonder what a smoke roasted Rooibos is like.

The dry leaf is strongly aromatic but the brewed tea is only moderately so. Smooth, a bit grassier and much less fruity than most rooibos. Very thin, however. A bit dry tasting, a little bit sour, and leaves a funny aftertaste that builds as you drink the cup.

Of the teas I've tried from Adagio, this was my least favorite. I've had much better rooibos.
1 Comment