English Breakfast

Brand:Benner Tea Co
Style:English Breakfast
Region:?????

This tea's info last updated: Mar. 10, 2017

Brewing Instructions: (from Benner Tea Co)

Boiling water, 3-5 minutes.

This tea isn't super great, but it's definitely not the worst thing. The price is pretty good, $1.20 for a box of 20 bags. However, there are teas that are the same price but are much better quality.

The flavor was decent for the first couple of sips, it had a sort of floral taste. Quickly though, my mouth began to dry out because of how astringent the tea is. The tea started tasting more soapy than floral and it had a mild tangy aftertaste. There was barely a smell when I opened the package and the brewed tea didn't have much of a smell either.

I wouldn't buy this tea again, however if someone gave it to me for free, I probably would end up drinking it, because at least it's not as bad as Lipton.

Edit: I wrote this review as I was tasting the tea on an empty stomach. Minutes after writing this, I began to feel extremely nauseous and I actually threw up a little. I don't know exactly why I reacted like that, but it most likely has to do with the fact that I'm very sensitive to tannins. Having too much tannins can make me feel nauseous, especially on an empty stomach. I often feel nauseous after having strong coffee, but I've never felt this bad after having tea before. This one must have just been too harsh for me. Because of this experience, I have to move my rating from a 40, down to a 30. I would not drink this again.

This was pretty bad. I'd take it over Lipton, but that's not saying much. I like to try low-end teas now and then so that I'm truly aware of the full range of tea on the market, and this was certainly a low-end tea.

This is one product that I honestly had no idea what to expect when I approached it. On the one hand, it's incredibly cheap...about $1.20 for a box of 20 tea bags. On the other hand, it was from ALDI, a company consistently miraculous at selling remarkably high-quality products for very cheap. In the end though, I was disappointed; this wasn't up to the level of quality of ALDI's other products, and as cheap as it is, the cost-per-cup is still much higher than buying an inexpensive but solid-quality loose tea like Ahmad Tea by the pound.

I opened the box and the tea bags are individually sealed. Opening one packet, I find a teabag filled with fine dust, nearly aromaless. Why waste the resources sealing the bags individually if there is no aroma to hold in?

When I brew it though, the cup does have a slight aroma, and is recognizable as an English Breakfast tea. A little better than Lipton, aromatically, but the flavor was not great. I found the cup both slightly thin-bodied, and a little harsh.

ALDI has no information about this tea on their site. They don't even have a commercial description for the product written on the box, although it does have brewing instructions.

I remain a huge fan of ALDI, but I would not recommend this one, and I feel less interested in sampling their other teas after being so disappointed with this one. I think ALDI could do much better. With virtually all their other products, they manage to come up with stuff that tastes really good, and I know that there is good tea out there. Even if they have to up the price to $2 a box, I think it would reflect better on their brand and store to stock a higher-quality product than this one.
1 Comment