Tsui Yu Jade Oolong Tea

Brand:Eco-Cha
Style:Oolong Tea
Region:Nantou, Taiwan

This tea's info last updated: Dec. 5, 2013

Herbal, flowery tones. Green leafy, savory herb flavor. Refreshing, floral finish. This selection makes an especially flavorful cold brew tea.

I thought this tea was fantastic. I loved the vegetable flavors and light floral tone. The only thing I didn't like was the mild sweetness, but that hardly changes how much I enjoyed it. I also loved that I was able to brew four cups out of out one sample packet, without the tea loosing any flavor!

I loved this tea...it is extremely green and light for an oolong, and has a distinctive "tropical greenhouse" aroma. A little picky about brewing, but worth it because the results were pretty astounding when I figured out how to brew it to my liking.

Intensely floral and vegetal, like the inside of a greenhouse filled with tropical plants. The floral scent is remarkable in how it resembles actual flowers...a lot of green oolongs are "floral" to varying degrees but this one really is like sticking my nose in an orchid.

Flavor is very subdued when brewed Western style...leaves a very smooth, clean sensation on the palate. Naturally sweet and with a slight, pleasing bitterness that is more of an undertone rather than a bite or kick. Unlike most of Eco-Cha's teas, this was also completely lacking in sourness, which I appreciated as I do not like sour flavors in my tea.

I found this tea slow to infuse and develop. I thought it did better with longer steepings (3-8 minutes, gradually increasing). Some complexity came out in the second cup that was absent in the first, a hint of honey and mint in the aroma, and still the wonderful floral quality. Flavor is slightly bolder but still very subtle. The third cup wass less overtly floral, but slightly more rich and complex. Getting three flavorful cups was pretty easy.

We brewed this tea Gong Fu style and I did not like the results. It tasted bitter and soapy, and the floral tones were obscured. It may be possible to brew with better results but I haven't figured this out--I like longer steepings with less leaf, in a mug.

I recommend this one especially to people who like very light oolongs with floral and vegetal aromas. The price is also very good...this is a top quality tea

The aroma is herbaceous and sweet with notes of yeasty undertones. It reminds me of baking bread with herbs. Once steeped the aroma becomes more vegetal with undertones of sage. The liquid is herbal and sweet with floral tones.

I was lucky to get multiple steepings, the first one tasting vegetal and sweet. The second is more complex tasting herbaceous a fading to sweet floral. The third steeping is at first honey sweet and fades to vegetal and finishes with floral.

FacebookTwitterTumblrInstagramPinterestGoogle+Patreon