Zen Filterbags

Style:Flavored Green Tea
Region:Zhejiang, China
Loose/teabag:Sachet

This tea's info last updated: Dec. 25, 2013

A harmonious blend of green tea with lemongrass & spearmint.

Pretty nice blend, although the lemongrass and mint tend to clash (I think).
1 Comment

Tazo is carried in Starbucks and is very available and moderately priced. Zen has a green tea base with notes of mint and cintrus. Very good over ice. A solid pick for every-day green tea. I actually prefer this to the China Green Tips (the plain green Tazo that Starbucks carries). Both are good in a pinc (airport, office. etc.)

I can think of at least one less expensive flavored green tea that is better Tazo's Zen. Additionally, there are several other common green teas not far above its price that I feel are very superior. So, although I wont say this is a bad tea, I will say it disappointed me somewhat. I'm probably not apt to buy another box of it unless Tazo reduces its price by a buck or two.
1 Comment

My second-favorite tea. I brew it with some sliced, candied ginger to give it a peppery zing. No lemon, no milk or cream, just sweetener. Honey is good with this.

Aroma comes from added flavors, not from the tea leaves, really. The flavor is basically spearmint and lemongrass, with little green tea flavor to be found. This is kind of a novelty tea, but nice on rare occasions. This tea could have broad appeal, but precisely because there is very little actual tea flavor.

The Tazo website describes this tea as being the special secret of Buddhist monks in some remote region of China. Then in another place, it states that the green tea leaves are from Zhejiang province. Now, Zhejiang is a well-developed and prosperous region of China on the east coast, anything but remote. I drank tea with Buddhist monks in that province on numerous occasions, and it was always just traditional Chinese loose leaf teas such as green, wulong, or red tea.

Flat, dry aroma, mostly of straw and leaf...little fruity lemon aroma and more of the muted straw-like quality of the lemongrass. Very bitter. Crisp but without being fresh or cooling as I had hoped from this tea. I also found the tea to be weak in aroma.

This was disappointing, both on its own and relative to what I've experienced of Tazo's other teas.
1 Comment

The lemony fragrance is stronger than the actual taste. It is a smooth green tea but the flavor is a little weak.

I just tried this tea and really loved the subtle lemon flavor, and I found it more smooth than bitter for a green tea.

The first time I had this tea I absolutely loved it. It's a great minty yet subtle fruity mix that smelled fantastic and tasted pretty good.
Yet, over the years this tea hasn't really held up for me... it's pretty expensive for one, it's tough to brew it without it going bitter, and I just eventually grew tired of the taste overall. I won't shy away from it if it's what's around, but I don't really go out of my way for it either.