Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) Tea - Organic

Brand:TeaVivre
Style:White Peony Tea
Region:Fuding, Fujian, China

This tea's info last updated: Feb. 25, 2013

TeaVivre's certified organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) tea is farmed and produced at Mt. Taimu using DaBai and DaHao tea trees. After brewing it has a pale orange-yellow color like our Silver Needle tea, however it has a slightly fuller flavour.

Brewing Instructions: (from TeaVivre)

90ºC / 194ºF

Very nice tea. I enjoy white teas, especially silver needle, but that can be expensive for daily consumption. This tea, on the other hand, is more affordable and has that distinctly white tea taste. It is not as sweet or smooth as silver needle, but it is nevertheless very light, delicate, and simple.

I prepared 5g of the loose tea in my gaiwan and was very happy with the results. The first thing I noticed was the beautiful golden color of the prepared liquor. The aroma is sweet, light, and floral. The taste is also quite sweet, although not as much as a silver needle. It has fruity notes and also a very slight grassy undertone, however it lacks the typical astringency that usually accompanies a grassy taste.

Eh, this one wasn't bad, not my favorite though. I didn't notice anything outstanding here. I was expecting more of a floral smell than it produced, and more flavor. It reminded me of a light green tea, similar to what Emily suggested.

I will give extra points for this being organic!

This tea is very light and a bit floral. It tastes a bit like a watered down green tea. It is definitely not bitter, and not very sour or really even sweet. It is not at all astringent.

It when brewed for about 2 minutes, it produced a pale amber color. I brewed it a second time, for much longer, and it was a little darker but still light and floral, and not astringent at all.

The most aromatic white peony I've sampled yet.

Dry leaf looks much lighter and with more downy tips than usual for this type of tea. Aroma of the dry leaf is intensely floral and delicate, with melon-like tones that I normally only encounter in silver needle.

When brewed as recommended, there is only a hint of the autumn leaf fragrance that I like in bolder white teas. Besides the melon and floral qualities, there are fairly strong tones of vanilla as well in the aroma. Light body. Very little astringency and only a faint sourness.

Produced a second cup which was similar in character to a more typical white peony; it had a slightly darker color and more of the autumn leaf fragrance. There was a little left in the leaf for a third cup but it had somewhat of a soapy aroma.

As is usually the case with lighter white teas, I actually preferred using a smaller amount of leaf, and brewing a single, very long (10-15 min.) infusion. This produced a dark cup with a rich aroma of vanilla, flowers, melon, autumn leaves, and spice. I found this cup to be more complex and much richer. Remarkably, there was almost no astringency.

When I used more leaf and a briefer infusion, I was able to produce a very bold, flavorful, but light and crisp cup. This cup had a light color but a particularly crisp, almost metallic taste and feeling on the palate.

I think this is my favorite white peony or bai mu dan that I've sampled yet, and among my favorite white teas.

Excellent price too for a tea of this quality.
3 Comments