Chai (formerly Indian Spiced Chai)

This page is for the caffeinated version. See also Decaffeinated Chai.

Brand:Twinings
Style:Chai / Spiced Tea
Region:?????

This tea's info last updated: Feb. 16, 2015

Twinings blends to perfection the finest black teas with the sweet and savory spice flavors of cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and ginger to give you a line of great-tasting Chai teas with a bold, spicy taste and rich, vibrant aroma.

I shall weave a story about my pathetic ignorance sure to amuse tea drinkers the world over. Twinings Chai was the tea that I sampled by taking a plastic coffeemaker-brewing container (not the K-cup, but the two-inch-wide flatter kind) that someone had left in the "FREE TAKE ONE!" area at work.

As I do with loose-leaf tea, I emptied the contents of the container into a strainer, placed it atop my cup, and poured the hot water over it. "Wow, this stuff swelled up huge, and this is really dark tea coming out!" I drank it, and loved it--the tea was nearly dark as tar, thick, dense, with an intense and very full flavor. Some of the best Chai I've had...

"How very unlike Twinings, in a good way, to have such a rich, powerful tea!", I thought.

Later I found out the brewing container was intended to make a full pot.

Oh well...a dream dashed. :-) My rating is for what I have a well-educated guess it is like by diluting that cup into a whole pot.

OK in a pinch, but way too cinnamony (and I'm not sure its not natural flavor).
Expect a bit better from Twinnings.

This is a decent chai, pretty standard fare as far as bagged chai teas go. Like most Twinings teas, it is not as strong as I would like. However, it's easy to find and there is nothing particularly fantastic or horrible about the flavor.

Nothing to write home about, but a reliable and easily obtainable chai tea.

Brewed for about 5 minutes. Really weak chai tea, but pretty smooth flavor overall. Got one bag for free and decided to give it a shot since all my other chais ran out and was not impressed with the lack of flavor and near zero aroma. I love traditional chais. The only flavor I really taste is cinnamon, which is pretty decent. I don't think I am going to buy this when looking to get a chai in the future.

Overall, I think this is a good bagged chai if you like your chai a little spicy. It takes milk well, has a good blend of sweet and spicy and is cheap. You're still better off making your own, but this works for the lazy.

I found this tea very weak. It tasted good; overall the flavor was smooth and the cinnamon was nice, but even when I brewed it until the water was cold, it was weak. Eh. I'll probably not buy it again.

The package recommends to brew for 4-6 minutes...I brewed for four. The black tea in this teabag was exceptionally weak--the cup was a clear reddish color, and I brewed with only about 6oz. of water. However, the lack of a bold black tea presence was made up for by a strong aroma of spice.

There are different spices in the aroma, and they're fairly balanced...cinnamon is dominant (I'd rather it not be) but you can notice others too. Unfortunately, I also sensed a sort of artificial quality that I could do without...it was almost like a suggestion of vanilla, a creaminess, but...it was a bit odd, off.

I'm not a huge fan.