English Breakfast

This page is for the caffeinated version. See also English Breakfast Decaffeinated.

Brand:Twinings
Style:English Breakfast
Region:?????

This tea's info last updated: Feb. 16, 2015

Tea from Kenya and Malawi provides the briskness and coppery-red colour while Assam gives full-body and flavour. The robustness from these regions is complemented by the softer and more subtle teas from China and Indonesia. The combination of these varieties yields a complex, full-bodied, lively cup of tea that is perfect any time of day.

Page 1 2 of 2 pages with 14 reviews

This tea is exceptional! English breakfast tea is by far my favorite tea by twining and by far my favorite tea in general! This tea goes very well with milk and creates a soft, silky and satisfying texture. This tea is not to robust nor light, it's just right. If you really want to make this tea even better, use half and half or whole milk! The tea will then be rich and creamy!
1 Comment

Twinings English Breakfast is my favorite of the brands I can find at a supermarket. It has a taste distinct from most black teas I've had, and it's one that I don't really mind.
How Twinings describes this tea is rather accurate. The flavor is indeed "complex." When taking an initial sip, it's hard to make out a distinct flavor. However, in about a second, the flavor would hit me - a robust and bold flavor with a bit of bitterness, and not much else. The tea has a smooth tone to it as well, which allows it to go down easily. Upon drinking this, the flavor is VERY easily divided into three parts: the initial flavor (very soft and robust), the lingering flavor (equally robust but bitter and strong), and the aftertaste (soft and slightly...fruity? I'm not sure if fruity is the right word). It is very distinct, and I could mark the exact period the flavors changed in my mouth.
It has a fragrant smell, a leafy and woody smell that seems to be signature of many black teas available in a supermarket. The scent doesn't quite stand out and it certainly fades from memory quickly, but regardless it is a pleasant smell and it is by no means a bad smell.
Like most of my teas, I brew using my stainless steel electric kettle and filtered water. I brought it to a boil and poured onto the teabag, letting it steep for 3 minutes before disposing of the bag. I drank it without any milk or sugar.
This tea is, to me, certainly better than Tazo's English Breakfast blend to my palette, which features a bitter and acidic aftertaste and a more bitter flavor overall. It is much better than Bigelow's English Teatime blend as well, which has little flavor across the board and reminds me a bit of cardboard with an aftertaste of hot water.
It's a good tea for a good price. It definitely is not my favorite black tea - however, of the three English breakfast blends I've tried (Bigelow, Tazo, and Twinings), I would recommend Twinings over any other.
1 Comment

I recently have started drinking tea a few months ago. This blend is my favorite, smooth, flavorful, and I drink it daily. I boil water, pour over teabag and let steep 3-4 mins. I usually don't add anything but when I do ill toss in a sugar cube. Im still a newbie but compared to other store bought brands it isn't that bad if you live in a rural area with few options unless you order online.

This is a medium strength blend with a sharp taste that reminds me of tobacco. It definitely likes some milk and sugar in it. However, I try to avoid adding sugar to anything, so I also mostly avoid this tea blend.

This is my everyday black tea, as it's a few hundred times better than Lipton and still affordable. It's okay on its own, but I usually add cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, sugar and milk to make my own chai. I don't find it to be too strong or astringent, but I don't steep it for very long and I never go for a second brew.

Just yesterday I brewed a pot of Twinings English Breakfast Tea (loose leaf) for an impromptu tea party with my sister who is a coffee drinker. She loved it! It's flavor is malty with pleasant notes of nuts and toast. Both comforting and energizing, this tea is great for a morning wake up brew or a soothing pick me up cup in the afternoon. Like a faithful friend, Twinings English Breakfast Tea comes through for me every time. It is a nice tea that I will always have on hand in my tea pantry.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be crazy about black teas. I got a sampler pack of Twinings black teas so that I could try out my tastes, and this one was the most *meh* to me. Neither the aroma nor the taste were my style. I think I'll bring the remainder of these to work for others to use.

I actually enjoyed the first & second infusion of the teabag I brewed out of sheer desperation. Maybe it was because I was sick, maybe it was the 2 packets of Splenda I added (no honey to be found) and maybe it was because a hot cup of ANYTHING would have helped, but I rather liked the Twinings. Not a holy grail, but not bad. A little bit of a bitter after-taste. I've had better and I've had worse.

bitter and astringent smell, taste is bitter black tea that is too strong in bitterness...alex gets it right saying it tastes a bit like cardboard...not pleasant x3

This tea is nothing special. It's a pity, you'd expect Twinings to get at least a basic English Breakfast tea right, but sadly this one falls short. Not only is the flavor lacking, but it's easily overbrewed, and tends towards the bitter side.

If one manages to properly brew it, there's still nothing to write home about. It tastes strong, and a little malty, but there's an unpleasant edge to it. I tolerate it because it's standard fare when you ask for an English Breakfast tea around here, but if you can find something else, definitely do.

Page 1 2 of 2 pages with 14 reviews