Darjeeling

Brand:Twinings
Style:Darjeeling Black Tea
Region:Darjeeling, India

This tea's info last updated: Feb. 16, 2015

...Our Darjeeling combines teas from the 1st and 2nd Flushes to yield a sophisticated tea with a woody aroma and slightly dry, delicate taste.

The tea has a weak aroma, both before and after steeping. It has a vegetal smell without much complexity, like cut grass or sugarcane. The aroma has a sweetness to it, but again, not as complex as other Darjeeling blends.

The flavor is more complex than I expected based on both the aroma and experience with Twinings' other bagged teas. The tea is quite floral tasting and astringent with little bitterness, reminding me of jasmine. The flavor isn't as strong as I'd like, but is pleasant and easy to drink.

After the tea has cooled a little, the flavor really opens up. The astringency is more pronounced and the flavor becomes even more floral, with notes of orange blossom and honey.

By the end of the cup, the astringency is distracting. It's still not bitter and the flavor is still nice, but it's as astringent as many grocery store Assam blends.

This is my first review, so please be understanding.

My tea preferences:
Black tea: milk & 1 sugar
I don't usually like smokey teas

I LOVE Darjeeling. Darjeeling is the kind of tea that made me a tea fanatic! I find it light and filled with flavor. The first Twining's Darjeeling box that I tried, I enjoyed, however I found it to be less delicately complex than the average Darjeeling. It seemed darker to me, less flavorful and less sweet.

I also usually really enjoying the Twining's brand. However the second box of Twining's Darjeeling that I bought really put me off. I felt like there was something wrong with the taste- it almost seemed salty and metallic. My kettle hasn't ever produced a metallic taste in the past or since, I stored my tea in the box- not in any metallic container, and I simply couldn't figure out if I had done something wrong or if I somehow had just gotten a box full of unpleasant tea bags that were not in line with the usual taste or quality of the brand. I've experienced a similar taste one other time in two years in a blend of Assam. Needless to say, I am unable to bring myself to buy Twining's Darjeeling tea anymore, though I'm sure the brand as a whole usually delivers a much higher quality.
1 Comment

Pretty decent malty flavor - light with milk (looks a bit watery) but has taste and aroma.

Obtained through Twinings' free samples program, so I know the tea bag was fresh. Thank you to Twinings for the free sample!

The dry tea bag doesn't smell like much of anything. Upon brewing, it has a slightly stronger aroma, but overall the aroma is weak. I steeped for 3 minutes with boiling water.

Dark in color for a Darjeeling. Aroma is very mild, the main quality I sense is rice, with a very faint hint of the muscatel grape quality characteristic of high-quality Darjeeling. Finish is peppery. Flavor is typical for a Darjeeling, but there's much more astringency than I'd expect...this tea is as tannic as some strong Assams, and I don't like that; the finish is especially harsh, in much the same way as Lipton's basic black tea is. Perhaps this tea would taste better with a 1 minute steeping, but I only had one tea bag so I couldn't experiment.

I rarely add milk to tea but I found this was borderline undrinkable without it, so I added milk, and it tasted much better. Perhaps Twinings just caters to a different sort of tastes than me, but I strongly prefer teas that taste well on their own without milk, and I think they could do better at sourcing a Darjeeling tea in this price range. Once I added milk, I didn't taste much of the tea any more.

Disappointing overall. I was eager to try several teas through Twinings' sample program that are not as widely available, and that I thought they'd be likely to be good at, but I continue to be disappointed. My favorite tea from Twinings is still the Ceylon Orange Pekoe and I would take that to this one any day. I can't see wanting to drink this tea again.

Among tea bags, I strongly prefer the Darjeelings from a number of other companies, including Hampstead Tea, Jacksons of Piccadilly, Harney and Sons, and Ahmad Tea. Ahmad Tea's Darjeeling is even cheaper than Twinings, and far surpasses it in quality.

I was expecting the taste of this Darjeeling tea to be quite bitter, however, it was refreshing. This tea was great value and even better than expected, the taste is refreshing and the aroma is not too strong and bitter like most black teas, nor too sweet. I would recommend this tea if you're looking for a tea which isn't too sweet, but a tea which also has a nice flavour and is refreshing.
1 Comment

This tea is pretty good, actually. I'm surprised because I don't usually like darjeeling or Twinings that much. I often find Twinings teas to be too bitter, and darjeeling teas to be too sickly sweet/vegetal tasting, but in this tea, the qualities seem to balance each other out, and it tastes like a normal, pretty good black tea. I added cream and sugar.

This tea is fully decent - I'd say it's better than what most of Twinings puts out. That said, it's not a great tea. The smell is blah. The tea tastes great at the first sip, but then lingers with a bit of cardboard. I think a little bit of lemon or mint would fix that though.

i am just your average tea drinker, not really a connoisseur, just a chick who loves tea. this is the only darjeeling i've ever tried, but i really loved it. i remember the first cup i ever drank, it was quite an experience. i was very impressed. the flavor was so... intricate, somehow.

FacebookTwitterInstagramTumblrGoogle+Patreon