Peach Oolong (Peachy Oolong)

Brand:Adagio Teas
Style:Flavored Oolong
Region:Taiwan / Formosa

This tea's info last updated: Dec. 23, 2010

In the famous poem 'The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock', T.S. Eliot wrote, 'do I dare to eat a peach?' The literary-minded folks at Adagio have taken it upon themselves to provide Mr. Eliot with an answer: no need to eat one. Just steep a cup of our premium Formosa oolong tea flavored with sweet peaches. Please, be a peach. Give this tea a try.

I like the mild peach flavor that doesn't overpower the oolong flavor of this tea. It is reasonably priced, and shipped in a foil lined pouch so that it remains fresh. The smell when you first open the bag is amazing, and the tea has a similar flavor

As a big peach flavor fan, I was a bit disappointed how weak the peachy flavor was - not nearly as strong as their black peach tea. It smells deliciously peachy but the flavor just isn't quite there. It still tastes good, but if you really want that fruit flavor (and I do!) I'd suggest something else.

This tea smells like those gummy candy peach rings, which I don't particularly like. I'm not very fond of this tea, but I don't normally like peach flavored teas or teas with peachy notes very much. I added cream and sugar.
2 Comments

Ironically, this tea is significantly less peachy in aroma than a number of pure (unflavored) oolongs I've had, including Adagio's own Dancong Aria.

The aroma is mostly of roast, and the roast is quite heavy. The base oolong really reminds me a lot more of a Chinese oolong than one from Taiwan. A hint of woody tones, but less than typical for an oolong of such dark roast. Tangy flavor, with a bit of bitterness and astringency.

The flavoring is well-blended into this tea. In contrast to pure oolongs with a natural peachy aroma, this tea displays its peach flavoring mainly in the finish.

Adagio recommends brewing 5 minutes, but I found that 3 minutes yielded a cup more to my liking. The leaf was broken and the tea infused rather quickly.

Overall? Impressive for a fruit-flavored tea. Reasonable price too.
1 Comment

With over 50 loose leaf teas in my cupboard, this is one of my consistent favorites. The peach aroma and flavoring is distinct, but not overwhelming. The nutty roasted oolong base continues to shine through. This is a solid tea at a great price.

I'm giving this sort of low marks because I am not fond of flavoring every tea you can get your hands on. Most good teas have their own good flavors. That said, this was a very nice blend with a good tea base and a good flavor. But I would rather have had a peach and a cup of tea.
1 Comment