Rooibos (Formerly Red Mellow Bush) - Organic

Style:Rooibos
Caffeine:Caffeine Free
Region:South Africa

This tea's info last updated: Dec. 15, 2013

Also called Red Tea, Rooibos is an herb indigenous to the Cederberg region of South Africa. It has a deep, earthy vanilla taste, is rich in antioxidants and known for its calming affects.

This tea is okay, but not my favorite. The flavor is not impressive. Compared with other rooibos teas, this simply doesn't cut it. It doesn't go down as smoothly as other rooibos teas. I prepared mine with 6oz of water and steeped for 6 minutes. Compared to the Equal Exchange brand, I cannot recommend it. It's not bad, but you can find better rooibos teas for the same price.

I haven't tried many plain rooibos teas, but I very much enjoy this one. The flavor is balanced and pleasant--nice for when you want a soothing, straightforward herbal tea. It infuses quickly to a deep red-brown. As I drink it, I can also easily appreciate why I've often enjoyed this as a base for other flavorings. The taste and flavor are pleasant (no bitterness), blend well with a variety of flavors, and yet isn't obtrusive or overly dominant. I also tried it with lemon juice added and really enjoyed that cup. Certainly a satisfactory experience. :-)

This rooibos had an unusual complexity for a tea bag. However, it also had considerable astringency.. Aroma slightly fruity, earthy, and with straw-like tones.

Rich. Not the smoothest rooibos though. I'd take this over most brands of rooibos sold in tea bags, although at home I prefer loose-leaf rooibos.

FacebookTwitterTumblrInstagramPinterestGoogle+Patreon