Golden Monkey Black Tea

Brand:Teavana
Style:Golden Monkey
Region:Fujian, China

This tea's info last updated: Jan. 26, 2016

...A smooth tippy tea, rich with complex cocoa undertones, it manages to be extremely low in tannins yet rich in flavor...

Brewing Instructions: (from Teavana)

Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 195-205 degrees and steep for 2-3 minutes. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

Raisin-like, with a slight bitterness in the aftertaste. Not bad, but not something I'd buy for myself. Tried a free sample at the store.

I find this tea a bit thin for my taste, though a decent Chinese black. For reference, I lean more toward the Yunnan blacks. It has a lovely aroma and a fair overall mouth feel.
1 Comment

This tea if you prepare well It´s a good tea.

I dont drink black tea pure, but when I taste the tea flavor was so good.

This is a top level black tea, but it can fool you. If you are looking for a bold, strong, malty black tea then this one is not for you. This tea is smooth and delicate. It is very low in tannin. While there is a pretty strong aroma when brewing it doesn't translate into the finished product.
1 Comment

This is a finicky tea. The flavor is very easy to squash if it is brewed too strong. I found that when I used restraint in the amount of leaves vs water, the chocolaty flavor that one clearly detects on the nose before brewing, will come out. This is a wonderful tea when you get it right, but this may take a few tries. Patience, as always, is a virtue.

Rich full body black tea low in tannins and found the tea needed very little sugar on its own. Holds well if cream is added without being watery and flavorless. I found it is delicious paired with Teavana Aztec Fire or Caramel Almond Biscotti

Big disappointment! This tea has zero flavor. I'm a fan of strong black teas. Usually buy my tea in India and bring it back. This chinese tea smelled quite good in the shop, but the flavor is nil. Won't buy this again. Flat, boring, nothing.

I was disappointed with this tea, it seems sour tasting to me even when I brew it right.

Overall a smooth cup, with a refreshing aroma. Good as a morning or afternoon tea.