Passion Tango (Formerly Passion Berry)

Brand:Teavana
Style:Herbal Tea
Caffeine:Caffeine Free
Region:Blend

This tea's info last updated: Jan. 26, 2016

Bright tropical notes of papaya and mango with bright citrus lemongrass with a hint of cinnamon.

Ah, Starbucks - you and your mergers & acquisitions. This is the new Passion tea (super fruity and a pretty color)they use in their ice tea and tea/lemonade beverages now. I prefer the green - but this is kid friendly - my 11 year old like it - and a nod to the Teavana purchase. Overpriced if you buy it but the cup at a Starbucks. If you love it, buy a whole box and brew/ice it yourself at home. Very popular and easy for an average American tea-newb to enjoy.

As someone very into fruity teas, I love this one. It's noticeably tart in a solidly pleasant way. Great when I'm in the mood for a strong caffeine free tea. If you like tropical herbal teas, this one is worth a shot.
2 Comments

This tea is now being served in Starbucks, under the name "Passion Tango". I find it a little annoying (and a poor marketing decision) that the names don't line up completely--when I looked for Passion Tango on Teavana's site, I found nothing, but upon contacting Teavana, they told me that this is the same tea, and reading the ingredient list, I believe them.

I like this tea much more than the old Tazo passion...it seemed slightly less sour for one. It's definitely tangy, but not overwhelmingly so. Although hibiscus is still the first ingredient, I suspect it may constitute less of the total blend.

The aroma is fruity and complex, but subtle and natural tasting, even though I notice that the ingredient list does include artificial flavoring. There's just the right among of cinnamon in the blend...the cinnamon emerges and vanishes, never dominating, and it's not enough to impart the dry astringency that I find happens if you put too much of that spice in a blend.

I probably wouldn't buy this on my own as a loose tea, but I'd be happy to order it as the Passion Tango in Starbucks; it's among the better of the caffeine-free iced herbal teas that I've sampled in any coffee shop.