Earl Grey

This page is for the caffeinated version. See also Earl Grey Decaffeinated.

Brand:Twinings
Product page:Earl Grey - Buy on Amazon*

This tea's info last updated: Aug. 13, 2018

Twinings has been blending my family tea for years. Today, I am proud to continue this tradition with the tea celebrated throughout the world known as Twinings Earl Grey. Legend has it, that my ancestor, the second Earl Grey, was presented with this exquisite recipe by an envoy on his return from China.

* Amazon links are sponsored and help support RateTea financially.

Page 1 2 3 4 of 4 pages with 38 reviews

Reviewer pic64 Aroma: 4/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 4/5

I got this from a restaurant hot-tea selection box and took home an extra bag to taste-test on good well water. The bergamot was somewhat feeble throughout the consumption experience. Still, it's among the better Twinings teas I've had (yes, I realize that's not saying much).

Sweetened, as I always do, this product delivered an unexpectedly creamy, vanilla-like flavor and in-cup aroma that somewhat offset the lack of a more-robust bergamot level. This isn't advertised as an "Earl Grey Creme", but tasted a good deal like one to me—albeit nowhere nearly as rich as a few loose-leaf EGCs I've had recently. Maybe there's some lemon in this too, which I detected more from the otherwise rather muted dry-bag aroma and aftertaste than from the in-cup flavor and scent. The wet bag exuded almost no aroma, so this tea was quite efficient at releasing whatever it had into the cup. I do wish it had more, though; this tea has the potential to be a high-quality "semi-creamy" Earl Grey if Twinings can turn up the intensity dial a couple notches, across-the-board. Even though I didn't buy the tea directly, the "value" rating is good, based on prices I've seen at retail outlets like Wal-Mart.

Reviewer pic75 Aroma: 8/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 4/5

I like this as a very neutral delicious tasting Earl grey. The bergamot is much more mild than other teas which makes it perfect to go with various desserts.

Reviewer pic30 Aroma: 3/10 Flavor: 1/5 Value: 3/5

No. Don't like the Earl Grey.

Reviewer pic70 Aroma: 6/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 5/5

Prep – 2 tea bags (4 grams) in 18 ounces 200° F. water for 4 minutes. Added 2 ounces ice. No sugar. No milk.
Aroma – moderate bergamot (3/5)
Flavor – very flavorful black tea (4/5). Good for breakfast.
Value – $3.19 for 40 gram box of 20 bags = $2.26 per ounce – high value

Reviewer pic60 Aroma: 5/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 3/5

Just spent a week drinking this tea. We were on a week long backpacking trip and since She Who Must Be Obeyed likes Earl Grey I packed this. Drank it every morning. It was hot, caffeinated and quite enjoyable, actually. Smoother and much more bergamot flavor than the bag of Bigelow's Earl Grey that had somehow hitched a ride. It made some cold windy mornings quite civilized.
2 Comments

Reviewer pic55 Aroma: 6/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 3/5

Honestly speaking, this was one of the brands I was introduced to after having finally moved from your typical, go to cheap teas (y'know, the luzianne brand people make in gallons) I was really interested in the taste. It's bold- enough for some that aren't used to this kind of tea like myself to be put off at first- but it also really aces the citrus taste. I don't usually add more than some sugar to it, but it works well in whatever form you want it to be in, making for both a flexible, and flavorful tea. Now, the Aroma isn't particularly noteworthy in my opinion- having tried other earl greys and not seeing a particularly large difference, but it's still relatively pleasant. I'd definitely suggest this to someone who hasn't tried more high quality teas to introduce themselves to the more well made side of the industry.
1 Comment

Reviewer pic95 Aroma: 10/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 4/5

Great tea! Very similar to English breakfast tea but is seasoned with lemon and bergamot I believe. The flavor and aroma is absolutely extraordinary! Great with a slash of milk on a Saturday morning! I trade off every week between twinning's earl grey and English breakfast tea. I reccomend this to others because you never get bored of one! Great tea, a definite necessity for loyal tea lovers! Even the Queen drinks it!

Reviewer pic30 Aroma: 4/10 Flavor: 2/5 Value: 1/5

This is the everyday Dolorès of earl grey teas; it lacks innovation and sensual effervescence.

Reviewer pic53 Aroma: 5/10 Flavor: 3/5 Value: 3/5

I always find earl gray a bit weak although this one is especially compared to loose ones

Reviewer pic77 Aroma: 9/10 Flavor: 5/5 Value: 4/5

This is a common Earl Grey. Very smooth, lovely after-taste. I like that I don't feel the need to add sweetener to this tea. Excellent morning blend.
1 Comment

1 Rating

Earl Grey Organic & Fair Trade Certified Tea

Region:Blend
No image of this tea

Earl Grey - Loose (UK Version)

Region:Blend