Hoji-cha, Roasted Green Tea (Loose)

Brand:Yamamotoyama
Style:Hojicha
Region:Japan

This tea's info last updated: Jan. 7, 2013

This tea has a beautiful, roasted scent and flavor. Depending upon how it's brewed, sometimes I taste hints of vegetal green tea. Other times, it's largely a roasted flavor without any bitterness and only a slight astringency, if any. It really reminds me of autumn, and it imparts this relaxing feeling that really helps to ease my mood. The roasting process supposedly gets rid of a lot of the caffeine, which makes sense given how calming it is to drink. It's not expensive and given the comforting feeling it imparts, this is one I like to keep around.

This is a very special tea. Its aroma and flavor transport you to magical places. I love this tea.

This was surprisingly good. The flavor had a nice soothing aroma and taste in a "ah, this is the kind of food adults like" sort of way. It strikes me as a particularly good tea for certain brisk days.

The fact that I like it and that I got a decent size bag of loose leaf for about two and a half dollars makes it one of the highest values I've found in tea. Even if you aren't usually into hojicha, this one is worth a try.

This is a solid loose-leaf hojicha that would be my go-to brand for the dark roast stuff, if it weren't so hard to get my hands on it.

Pretty heavy roast for a hojicha. A good mix of stem and large leaves...brews a very dark color with a strongly roasty aroma...woody/twiggy but without being at all smoky. There's a faint suggestion of vanilla in the aroma, like a lot of good hojicha.

Flavor is moderately bold, with a little bitterness and a little sourness. Crisp mouthfeel, with a little up-front bite, but only a little lingering astringency.

I enjoy adding milk to this--I know that seems odd because it's not traditional, but it has a coffee-like quality and I like my coffee with milk. It is strong tasting enough to take milk well and I enjoy it both with milk and plain.

Stays fresh much longer than the expiration date on the bag. Hojicha is a tea that I think ages well (I've tried aged variants of it) and I think this would be a decent one to age, if you wanted. I find that after storing it for a couple years after buying it, just clipped, it still tastes similar to when I bought it, and the woody tones are perhaps a bit more complex, at the expense of some increased sourness in the flavor (still pleasant though).

I've found it surprisingly difficult to obtain. I last bought it at a Korean store in Delaware, on Kirkwood highway, outside of Wilmington. Many Asian markets only sell the Yamamotoyama tea bags, and I've found stores that sell loose-leaf Japanese green tea are more likely to sell plain (unroasted) green teas like sencha or bancha. I've seen it on Amazon, in 6 packs.

This is the best Hojicha I've tried in this price range though. It was under $5 for 100 grams (3.5 oz)...that's a pretty great price for tea of this quality...flavor-wise this one is up there with a lot of hojicha that has been at least twice as expensive.

I was craving coffee the day that I had it and felt like it was a suitable replacement! It smelled and tasted roasted, and I felt like it was a little thicker than your average tea - especially surprising for a green. Overall I really enjoyed this tea and would have it again, especially if coffee is not in sight!

This tea is pretty good. It has a nice roasty flavor. I added cream and sugar.