Irish Breakfast Decaffeinated

This page is for the decaf version. See also Irish Breakfast.

Brand:Twinings
Style:Irish Breakfast
Caffeine:Decaffeinated
Product page:Irish Breakfast Decaffeinated

This tea's info last updated: Jan. 8, 2018

The Irish really love their tea and are amongst the most frequent drinkers of tea around the world. In celebration of this tea drinking tradition, Twinings blended a special Irish Breakfast Blend. This tea is best taken with milk and sweetened to taste to bring out the best flavor.

Reviewer pic77 Aroma: 7/10 Flavor: 4/5 Value: 4/5

I like this tea - it's very strong and dark. I have a be careful when brewing it because there's a short window of time that it comes out good - for me about 3 minutes. After that it starts to get very bitter and astringent. I'm starting to notice that in general, it's hard to find decaf black teas that have a lot of flavor, and I think this one succeeds. I added cream and sugar.

Reviewer pic37 Aroma: 4/10 Flavor: 3/5 Value: 1/5

I admit, I'm a tough customer when it comes to decaf tea--I just don't like it. I tried this out of curiosity, in a sense, to see relatively how bad it was.

Twinings Irish Breakfast, in my opinion, is a pretty decent tea--it's one of my favorite ones, and I like it much more than their English Breakfast, so this was a logical choice of one to try.

The flavor is extremely muted...there's not much bite, only a muted bitter aftertaste. I prefer teas that have a bold, up-front bitterness. There's more astringency than bitterness, and I don't like that. The color is pretty rich: a reddish brown.

The caffeinated Irish Breakfast has a lot of aromatic qualities that are completely lost in this tea--a hint of wintergreen, a rich malty quality, and a suggestion of rice. All I noticed in this tea was a very faint maltiness.

In the end? No...they don't pull it off, as far as I'm concerned. I'll stick with a naturally caffeine-free herbal tea if I want to avoid caffeine--something like rooibos or red raspberry leaf.

More Black Tea from Twinings