ZG54: Gu Zhang Mao Jian Organic - Organic

This tea has been retired/discontinued.

Brand:Upton Tea Imports
Style:Mao Jian Green Tea
Region:Guzhang, Hunan, China

This tea's info last updated: Jul. 17, 2013

A green tea with deep flavor notes and good body, priced for everyday consumption. Rarely do we find a tea with this quality and flavor at this price level.

Brewing Instructions: (from Upton Tea Imports)

Leaf Quantity: 2¼ g/cup
Water Temp: 180°
Steep Time: 3 min.

Page 1 of 1 page with 1 review

The dry leaf of this tea had the most intensely pleasing aroma of any green tea I have ever encountered.

Upon drinking the brewed tea, it's a little less amazing but still good. There's a lightness and sweetness in this tea that I've only ever encountered in green teas considerably higher in price.

Second infusion has a mushroomy quality that I don't like. Still enjoyable though.

I have noticed that I have really enjoyed mao jian green teas...they tend to be inexpensive relative to how much I enjoy them. Unfortunately, I see that Upton has permanently discontinued this one. The other two Mao Jians I tried were from different regions, and although they looked similar and shared some qualities in common (roughly the same strength and boldness of flavor), their aromas were very different.

Although I loved the aroma of the dry leaf of this one, I think I actually preferred the other two samples, from Arbor Teas and TeaVivre, respectively, in terms of the brewed cup.