Sencha

Brand:Basilur
Style:Sencha
Region:Sri Lanka / Ceylon

This tea's info last updated: Nov. 30, 2015

Sencha green tea is characterized by its mellow, pleasant flavor and rich yellow colour, achieved by gently steaming the leaves immediately after picking. Smooth and mild, this healthy brew can be consumed all day through.

Page 1 of 1 page with 1 review

The last of the Basilur teas I picked up at a friend's wedding, and unfortunately, one of the least satisfying.

The tea bag didn't smell great, but upon brewing I was surprised by a more pleasing aroma. Like other lower-quality senchas I've tried, and somewhat like bancha, this one had a distinct corn aroma.

The cup was initially smooth, but as I drank more of it I found that there was a fairly strong astringency, and also a sourness, lurking towards the bottom of the cup. I found this slightly unpleasant.

An interesting tea to try; quite unlike most Japanese sencha, and above average for a green tea bag, but I think most green tea bags tend to be quite terrible, so that doesn't say much.

I'm not sure what this tea normally sells for, but I could only find it online for astronomical prices, like $15 for 20 tea bags, which seemed crazy to me, which is why I'm marking it as overpriced. I think a fair price for this would be $3 for 20 tea bags, as it's about on par with the better supermarket brands.