Shoumei White Tea

Brand:Foojoy
Style:Shou Mei
Region:China

This tea's info last updated: Mar. 15, 2015

The most natural non-oxidized tea, rich in healthful nutrients.

I love shou mei, a darker white tea, and I love Foojoy, so I was expecting to like this one, and I did. It's remarkably high quality for such an inexpensive tea bag. The only shou mei I've tried in tea bags.

This tea is surprisingly pungent, with the characteristic aroma of autumn leaves, and a hint of spice and perhaps fruitiness. The flavor is more crisp than I expect for shou mei and the tea has a tad more bite than is usual for white teas. There's a little bitterness, but also some sweetness. Moderately astringent finish, but not unpleasant.

I'd be very happy to drink this tea in quantity, in some place where I only had access to tea bags. I still think loose-leaf wins out, both Foojoy's loose-leaf and that from other brands, but this is a very enjoyable example of its style.

I think so far, this and the Lungching (dragon well) green tea are my favorite two bagged offerings from Foojoy.

This Foojoy Shoumei has similar color to their Bai Mudan. The aroma is milder in the Shoumei, and has a hint of fruit. The taste of the Shoumei is also milder than that of their Bai Mudan, but very smooth and with a hint of sweetness. Overall, though, these teas are very similar. This is perhaps the milder and slightly sweeter version. It also seems to be a bit smoother than the Bai Mudan.

In terms of the actual tea leaves and the way the tea is made, from what I understand, Bai Mudan and Shoumei only really differ in the relative age of their leaves. Shoumei is picked at a later time in the year, when the leaves are larger and darker.

In the Foojoy tea bag versions of these white teas, neither seems to be clearly better or worse. I suspect that most people who are interested in white tea might prefer the Shoumei, since it is milder and has a slight sweetness. These preferences would probably differ based on the culture and individual, though. It is perhaps notable that in the West, many people seem to be interested in white tea for its mild and smooth qualities.
1 Comment

This tea is really good. I drink it practically every day, and I like it better now than I did before. It brews really dark for a white tea. I only had to brew it for a couple of minutes, and with other white teas it takes me a lot longer to get enough flavor out of them. This one has a strong flavor that I like. It's not too bitter, but tangy enough. I added cream and sugar.

FacebookTwitterTumblrInstagramPinterestGoogle+Patreon