Aged Earl Grey™ - Bergamot Black - Organic - Fair Trade

This page is for the caffeinated version. See also Decaf Earl Grey.

Brand:Numi Organic Tea
Style:Earl Grey Tea
Region:Assam, India

This tea's info last updated: Mar. 7, 2014

We age organic Assam black tea with real Italian Bergamot for several weeks so the tea absorbs the orange scent. Enjoy a robust (flavorings-free) Earl Grey with subtle citrus notes.

This was one of the atypical flavored teas I've had with a scent (both dry-bag and in-cup) noticeably bigger than the taste. I'm having trouble rating this tea because it depends on what you're seeking. Aroma? Strong, fruity, potent, almost mouth-watering. Looks and taste? The base tea is very rich and flavorful, brewing up a dark cup quickly. Since it's an Assam, I suppose that's no surprise; I generally like Assams precisely because of their unpretentious boldness.

Yet for as assertive as the base tea was, the Earl Grey portion dropped off dramatically between aroma and flavor. It was as if most of the ester evaporated upon inhaling and vanished up the catacombs behind my sniffer, leaving precious little behind in the drink. Either that, or the "aged Earl Grey" was so aged that good ol' Earl was on death's door by the time he flavored this one. I could taste the bergamot, but at a weaker level than just about every other Earl Grey I've tried. It's not bad, but the vivid and promising aroma left me bummed at how much less Earl-y the product tasted than it should have.

Date: 12.07.2016. - 25.07.2016.
Place obtained: Bio&Bio; Ilica 70; Zagreb, Croatia
Price: 39,90kn - 2,22kn/teabag (5,88$ - 0,33$)
Teabags: 18 * 2g = 36g
Bergamont: 2%

Aromatic tea with, maybe, the best smell. But scent is the best part of it, and considering price, would rather go with something else.

Updated Review: I tried this tea again and, this time, i was able to make it so that it was more enjoyable. As long as i don't let it overbrew and I add milk, this is actually quite a delightful tea--invigorating without being bitter.

The bergamot tastes natural, but I'd like a more robust citrus flavor. Last time I added a bag of ginger tea to this one to brighten up the flavor, and felt that improved it.

I definitely enjoyed this more than the Earl Grey offering by Twinings. It's both more subtle and more smooth.

Ultimately, I'm happy to have found a way that I can enjoy Earl Grey so that, in another universe, I might one day enjoy a cup with Jean-Luc. ;-)

This tea is amazing.

Numi Aged Earl Grey Assam- Now we're talkin' tea! Hands down, this is my all around absolute favorite tea. The moment you open a packet, the powerful, heady aroma of bergamot saturates the senses. It is noticeably fresh, not highly perfumed like most other offerings, for they use real Bergamot, not "natural flavorings," or "essences," and so it pays off in huge dividends to the afficionado.

In the cup, the Bergamot tones down a notch to a well-balanced, robust, malty brew that could satisfy even a coffee lover. I love it anytime of the day, but especially first thing in the morning. It goes very well with a hearty breakfast, and I can usually get a good second infusion.

I would compare this to Twining's Prince of Wales Tea, also an exceptional blend, which was crafted for a future king in the 1930's. Numi's Aged Earl Grey is certainly on par with that, and therefore I would venture to say, is fit for royalty. Bon appetit!
2 Comments

this is alright as earl greys go, but certainly not excellent. the bergamot was not as strong as i like it. smooth.

kind of expensive. there are better earl greys out there... my favorite is zhena's gypsy - uplifting earl grey. earl grey supreme by rishi is also good.

Excellent tea. Numi's quality is great. Each teabag will produce many cups of excellent tea.

This is my favorite Earl Grey that I've ever had from teabags. It has a very bold bergamot aroma, with a clean and refreshing quality. It is much smoother than most black teas: very little astringency, while still having a rich flavor.

A bit expensive for a teabag tea, but more reasonable considering the quality and that you are paying for fair trade and organic status.

FacebookTwitterTumblrInstagramPinterestGoogle+Patreon