Qimen Black Tea

Brand:Starway
Style:Keemun
Region:Qimen, Anhui, China

Page 1 of 1 page with 1 review

Like other Starway teas, this tea is very inexpensive ($6.99 for 6 ounces) and is packaged in a red tin of the same style as other Starway teas. The leaves are broken, but in reasonably large pieces.

The dried leaves are quite pungent and smell strongly of raisins. As the tea steeps, the aroma is of earth, oak leaves and malt. It certainly smells like other Keemun teas.

The initial flavor is less malty and more earthy than I would have expected from the aroma, but the flavor once again matches the profile that I expect from a Keemun. There is no bitterness at all and only mild astringency, even with four minutes in near-boiling water. I occasionally steep this one even longer, especially if I won't be trying for a second brewing.

After the tea has cooled only slightly, the sweeter notes begin to appear. While the predominant flavors are still earth and dried leaves, the finish is malt, raisins, molasses and honey. The tea still shows no bitterness and only slight astringency. For such a mellow tea, it is very flavorful. This tea is easily as good as more expensive Keemuns that I've tasted.

The only problem I've had with this tea is availability. I can't find any reference (let alone anyone selling it) online and I've only seen it in one shop so far. That shop is now out of stock, so if I can find it again, I'm buying as many tins as I can carry.
2 Comments