Prince of Wales

Brand:Twinings
Style:Black Tea
Region:China

This tea's info last updated: Feb. 16, 2015

Prince of Wales is a pure China black tea sourced from regions including the Yunnan province and other southern regions of China. This blend is light in color and has a smooth and mild taste, with a well-rounded character. Great in the late morning or in the afternoon, it is perfect with or without milk and can be sweetened to taste.

This tea smells great, but the flavor is weak. The aroma is both earthy and sweet. The flavor, though, is a pale shadow of the aroma. The first time I bought a box of this tea, I assumed that it had to be stale because of improper packing or storing. A second box was the same.

The tea isn't bitter or astringent at all. There's a nice tannic leafiness and an underlying sweetness that's more like sugar or honey than the typical black tea maltiness. Unfortunately, much of the complexity is hidden until the tea is almost cold. Equally unfortunate is that this is one of the only Chinese black teas (blended or otherwise) available on a grocery store shelf.

While this tea does exhibit the mellow smoothness that one can expect from Chinese black teas, it's definitely worth the extra effort to track down better tea in a tea shop, Asian grocery store or online.

I always enjoy a cup of black tea with no sweetener or cream, but I often find that it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I didn't have that problem with this tea, although it was strong. I definitely would like to add this tea to my stand-by tea list, along with Earl Grey. My only dislike is that I've heard Twinings Prince of Wales is hard to find in stores, I'd like to see it more readily available!
1 Comment

Phooey. This used to my standard for judging Prince of Wales, which is one of my many favorites. However, in the last year or so, the quality has tanked. This makes me very unhappy, as I now have to search out a new standard. Maybe it's just the difficult years tea producers have had recently. I hope so. Otherwise, it's mulch!

One of my favorites!

Fairly light overall, especially compared to Twinings' other black teas. There's some complexity in the aroma, in my opinion, more than their other black teas with the exception of their Ceylon (my favorite). Smooth...less astringency or bitterness. I find you can steep this one a little longer without it becoming too strong...but it's good with only a brief steeping too.

Although it's still just a finely broken teabag tea, I think you can notice the Yunnan and south-China character to this tea.

I'm still not super impressed, however. A bit interesting, but I think there are much better black teas out there, including ones of comparable price available in teabags.

This is one of my favorites for dinner. I brew it lightly, if it's brewed too strongly you don't get all the flavors. Probably one of the best, mass produced american teas. Hard to find in most stores, comes in both teabag variety and loose leaf. I prefer the loose leaf.